Gocco love

by maitreya on 13/02/2006

in Green Crafting

Print Gocco is yet another example of the wonderful Japanese crafty + techy streak. It’s a nifty little screen-printing system that’s all self-contained and really easy to use. Unfortunately, Riso, the company that makes it, recently announced that they’re discontinuing it.

Save Gocco will hopefully change their mind. If you’re a Gocco-ist, make sure to go sign their petition/guestbook. The site also has a great list of Gocco resources, including where you can still get supplies. As for the units themselves, the last online shop selling them to US customers finally sold out, and they’re now going for over $200 on eBay.

Although Riso claims they have enough supplies to last 3 years, people are already trying to figure out replacements in anticipation of the inevitable stoppage (some of the ink colors are already running out). Amy mentioned the other day that she had successfully used Max Grumbacher oil paints and there’s a thread on Craftster that recommends Versatex Fabric Inks and Permaset, or Aquatex if you’re in Australia. Even the screens might be replacable with thermal screen. I’m sure we can look forward to other clever ideas from fellow Gocco enthusiasts.

More Gocco love:

we heart gocco at the wurst gallery is a wonderful show of prints, and they’re even for sale, ranging from $2.50-$30 US. Each artist also has a short interview, including their favorite Gocco tips.

The Gocco Set from Onsmith Comics is also pretty neat. It’s a set of 17 different prints for $60.

The Gocco Group on Flickr is a treasure trove, both of wonderful work and of information in the discuss boards.

Krafola has a good discussion going about Gocco vs computer printers, which also includes a list of compatible pens.

2 good tutorials: The Small Object’s tutorial and dilettante crafter’s tutorial.

Print by Evan Harris from we heart gocco

1 MargaretR February 13, 2006 at 9:57 pm

The news about Gocco is very sad. As you know they haven’t had any in the UK for some time and I would just love to have one and an australian friend offered to get me one. I wonder if it’s worth it now?

thanks for producing such a very useful and interesting blog.

2 camillaengman February 13, 2006 at 10:18 pm

I’d sure like to have one. It looks so much fun.

3 Kate Bingaman February 13, 2006 at 10:29 pm

Awesome post! I was just going to submit the gocco show to one of the editors, but you are on top of it!

4 Vanessa February 13, 2006 at 11:05 pm

I was so distressed to hear that they were stopping production. Hearing that people were working on alternative solutions cheered me right up. Thanks!

5 Jeremy Wilson February 13, 2006 at 11:44 pm

How the hell did that person get such tight registration? Out of 50 prints on my Gocco I might get 5 spot-on prints.

I still love it though.

6 kate February 14, 2006 at 8:13 am

since i saw the Gocco prints on the wurst gallery site i’ve been looking into buying a Gocco kit here in Australia and I found this info in the Nehoc site about how to source Gocco : http://www.nehoc.com.au/info/News/usa.htm
it might be some help.

7 shoofly February 14, 2006 at 11:14 am

Thanks for posting information about alternate inks and screens. So sad….someone needs to jump in and save gocco!

Jeremy, I’m not sure what print gocco machine was used for the one above, but the PG-11 and Gocco CD Printer were designed with better registration in mind. You can move the printing bed around and then lock it into place.

8 Linda February 15, 2006 at 7:03 am

I’m incredibly disappointed that there are no new Goccos being made. I wish I had known about them sooner. Thanks for the link to the petition, I’m glad to see it.

9 jessica February 17, 2006 at 9:49 pm

Thanks for the post. I have recently been obsessed with obtaining a Gocco, and then your post with all the links I need! I have a BFA in printmaking, but never heard of the Gocco ’til recently. You mean, I can make prints, easily, in my home?!? My art professors FAILED me. I guess I just really needed to spend the time in the studio graining 40 lb. litho stones.