knitted graffiti

by kath_red on 16/02/2006

in knitting+crochet+yarn

knitta started in August 2005 as a duo of Texan mums, with the tag names “AKrylik” and “PolyCotN”, since then they have grown to ten and are tagging the town with knitted cozies. “These gangsta mamas have big plans: cozies for car bumpers, hats for fire hydrants, carpets for sidewalks and, if only they can get enough people, curtains for bridges and covers for water towers.” (from houston press)

“We’re taking graffiti and making it warm, fuzzy and more acceptable,” says AKrylik. “I like the duality there. Also, I really think there can be a lot more to the new, alternative knitting craze than meeting at the local coffee shop every Sunday afternoon to make scarves together — not that I don’t like to do that, too.”

resources:

knitta please website
knitta please article at houston press
wholesome urban graffiti at city noise
knitta please tags at flickr
knitta crew are keeping their name – read more here
knitta please at myspace

1 camillaengman February 16, 2006 at 6:05 pm

This is great. I talked to a girl ones that used embroidery. On seats in buses and such. And she also did big cross stitches on those net fences. I love it.

2 jan February 17, 2006 at 2:10 am

thats the best!

3 Brynne February 17, 2006 at 7:52 am

I’m in love! Now I’ll have to head downtown to find some knitted graffiti and maybe make some of my own.

4 Little Snoring February 17, 2006 at 1:01 pm

Hi,

That reminds me of a project in Tasmania where red knitted ‘hugs’ were wrapped around a stand of huge old growth forest trees to highlight their imminent destruction…

Check it out

5 LBellatrix February 17, 2006 at 9:41 pm

I sense a movement approaching… :)

6 goodwolve February 18, 2006 at 1:20 am

Wonderful. Just wonderful.

7 kathleen February 19, 2006 at 3:22 am

I love the scarf that’s wrapped on the telephone pole. And the knitted sculpture is great. The only other place I’ve seen knit sculpture is in the book “Wild Knitting”. I love it!

8 LiZz February 19, 2006 at 3:36 am

Started in Terre Haute, Indiana today! Thanks for the inspiration – now knitters know what to do with all those swatches!!

9 kathym February 22, 2006 at 12:08 am

I have mixed feelings about this. I like the idea of the everyday landscape having art/craft added to it, but this also seems a little like littering mixed with self-indulgent cuteness.

Maybe if there were an actual point to this (besides just using up yarn and “beautifying” random telephone poles–like the example Little Snoring mentioned above–) I’d feel differently.

Do love the colors in the pic on the top, though.

10 Jafabrit February 26, 2009 at 9:39 am

There is point to it kathym, if you don’t mind me sharing. It makes people smile, it gives children a giggle, it brightens up a dull grey winter day. I can’t tell you how many people in our village come up to my friend and I and thank us. It has inspired others to take up knitting, to enjoy a different way of seeing a street, a tree, a pole a bench. for our village it has brought much needed visitors and some have even moved into town because of our knit knot tree. They told the paper, any town that lets people put up a knit knot tree is the kind of place we want to live. Maybe I am blessed to live in a village that enjoys letting its citizens share their talents, and humour with a little bit of knitting.
Thanks for letting me share.

{ 2 trackbacks }