human hair as yarn

by kath_red on 01/03/2006

in Art+Design

‘Hair raising’ - an exhibition at ICA Jan Jose, is on until march 11. This exhibition features art made of human hair. (via 30gms)

During the past decade, there has been a growing fascination among contemporary artists with all manner of bodily experiences. Increasingly, the body has been used not only as the subject in artwork, but as the medium as well. Menstrual blood, nail clippings and skin have all been used to create works that examine the human body in every possible way. And hair is no exception.

Some other art from human hair:
cloth made from human hair – Memorial Art at Auschwitz
Installation, hand-made shoes of human hair
cotton and human hair weaving
handmade paper from human hair

image is by Lucrecia Troncoso from the exhition ‘hair raising’, Rinse and repeat, 2005, Hair, thread, wire and paint

1 B. Zedan March 1, 2006 at 5:01 am

There is such an interesting history in working with human hair as a medium. Victorians used human hair in making jewelry, working it like lace or crochet.

2 shobhana March 1, 2006 at 6:02 am

wow. this really freaks me out. it’s just plain creepy! interesting, but creepy.

3 Grace March 1, 2006 at 5:25 pm

I knew a guy in Sydney that wore a tiny plait of hair from is girlfriend around his neck for luck:)

4 Julia March 1, 2006 at 5:52 pm

I’ve seen a bunch of hair art in a museum here in Hamburg, Germany years ago. At some point of time it was ‘hip’ to create flower bouquets and stuff out of hair. Oh, and I also remember some American contemporary artist’s installation at another local museum who formed balls out of her hair each morning after she’d brushed it and placed them in a rectangle on the ground. Weird stuff. But ‘Hair Raising’ is kind of pretty, don’t you think?

5 Kelli March 2, 2006 at 12:17 am

I feel like a child, but EWWW. So gross. I am not into this at all. I can usually appreciate art forms of all types, but this gives me the heebee jeebees.

6 KnottieKnitter July 13, 2006 at 3:57 am

sorry to be soooo immature, but I think I’m going to vomit.

7 heatherazz October 10, 2006 at 9:46 pm

I’m a spinner and a knitter with fairly long hair. I’m pretty sure there is a little of me in every project.

8 paula September 20, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Hi I am looking for someone who can spin human hair into yarn and make something special out of it. My boss lost his wife not to long ago and all he has left is the hair that the hospital gave back to him. Can you spin human hair and make something for him to keep as a keepsake?

9 omg123 February 9, 2009 at 8:39 pm

ok, so hair is something i would never really work with(i dont know why, i just dont really see a reason for it) nail clippings, a little gross, and skin(how do they get the skin?….) is a little strabge, but i can understand it, but menstual blood? that just seems disgusting to me. who really wants to work with it? its bad enough, the pain it causes, but to use it in your art? that just has no point to me. nut people have their own opinion, so i guess as long as no one has me work in that medium.

10 Leslee May 13, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Too bad it has to be human hair. I’ve a cat who could open her own gallery.