felted balls and beads

by kath_red on 04/03/2006

in knitting+crochet+yarn

felt balls felt beads

Images from Juju loves Polka dots. more images from her gallery.

Tania recently posted about some felt balls she made – which made me remember seeing these somewhere else and then I started to see them everywhere. Lovely colourful gorgeous and fun.

Posy gets cozy made some :: Joleen made some too :: pauline walsh - textile artist is inspired by river pebbles to make these gorgeous felted balls.

how to make them:
instructions at martha
Booga J also has a great tutorial of felted beads that she made with her kids
home of the sampler has a tutorial
wool festival has instructions with additional embellishments

what to do with them
Make bobbled yarn
decorations
blanket or quilt
pincushion
wallhanging
kitty toy

1 Folkcat March 4, 2006 at 11:14 pm

A very good friend and bead artist, Judith Bertoglio-Giffin, posted about some felting that she did with other friends on her way to her winter home in Tucson, AZ. Judith’s projects included some fabulous felted beads. You can view them in this post at her blog, Bead Line.

2 rebecca March 5, 2006 at 12:39 am

One of the very cute things I’ve seen done lately with a felt ball was in a Japanese craft book where the felted ball was actually felted into the size and shape of an egg. The egg was set in a half egg carton and was part of a sewing kit. So the egg was the pincusion, and in the other cups were needles, measuring tape etc. On the top of the egg carton was a little cloth ribbon that said sewing on it and that was either stiched or glued on. It was a very sweet little compact kit.

3 Sarah Brueck Stallings March 5, 2006 at 7:09 am

I just found this site and have been visiting for hours each day, reading the archives…great stuff and oh, so inspiring!
To my delight I saw that felted beads was a current post so I want to add some info I have…
I was and will again be on HGTV’s “That’s Clever” making these same beads, stringing into a bracelet and embellishing with seed beads (on US TV only, sorry) on March 15th at noon and 5pm. You can also view the link from the HGTV site here: http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_accessories_jewelry/article/0,1789,HGTV_3225_4238612,00.html

I don’ think I’m offering any new instruction, but sometimes it helps to see someone do it on video…
This really a fun project and a fun way to use up different yarns, ribbon..all kinds of string, metallic threads…endless possibilities.

4 Kristin La Flamme March 7, 2006 at 1:47 am

Felting is all the rage here in Germany. I took a class and made a fabu scarf, and then came home and made jewelry from felted balls. They are so fun and easy! (See my projects in my “Felt Sidetracked” post.) Thanks for all the great and varied inspiration on your site.

5 tania March 7, 2006 at 7:26 am

ah! thanks for the mention! these are my current addiction!

6 shelley March 16, 2006 at 2:57 am

any tips on how to make felt bowls… i’ve got scraps of wool, and bits of left over wool material from recovering my dining chairs… i’d love some advice!

{ 1 trackback }