altered clothing – the skirt

by kath_red on 05/03/2006

in Sewing+Fabric

altered skirt flobberdewotsky – from the Netherlands- a wonderful crazy eclectic collection of handmade unique clothing made out of recycled clothes and materials. I love that with each outfit they tell you what they used to make it. A childs skirt “made out of a pair of orange Cakewalk pants, a cutsie curtain and a retro dress.” Another one is “made out of granny’s embroidered tea-cosy and an orange embroidered tablecloth”, another is “made out of various kitchen calenders. Extremely suitable for children whose parents got engaged in Australia in 1975 and not-at-all-suitable-but-still-way-cool for anyone else.” The skirt pictured above is described as a “ladies skirt made out tirolerdress and retrocurtain.”

Alison Willoughby – textile artist/fashion designer
alison willoughby alison willoughby

For Alison, a skirt is more than just a garment –”it is a work of art in it’s own right. Made without darts, they are flat, unaffected, timeless, classic and simple; they are the canvas on which she works. … She experiments with various techniques: moulding and illuminating, screen printing with paper stencils, foiling, mark making, embroidery, hand stitching, ruffling, tailor tacking, cording and cut work with scissors to create sliced, carved, shaved, chiselled and sculpted pieces.”

Do you want to make your own altered re-contructed or de-constructed clothing?
check out this livejournal community
second time cool - book about making clothing from old knitwear – check out the website too with more info on the book.
article on t-shirt surgery

I would love to do a regular post on altered clothing – does anyone out there have an interest in this? – or if you are an ‘expert’ and would like to write a regular post for whipup on this topic email me (see contact page).

1 makingtime March 5, 2006 at 5:18 pm

i would sign up to *read* that post regularly!

there’s something that bends towards surreal when the clothes get ‘reconstructed’… it’s great. i always associate this with the Belgian designer Martin Margiela. here’s a cool use of gloves to make a shirt…

2 julia stitches March 5, 2006 at 5:32 pm

Yes – altered clothing is right up my alley. I would love to read/see regularly.

3 p March 5, 2006 at 5:44 pm

There’s an exhibition of Alison Willoughby’s work on tour in the UK at the minute, I think the next venue is Bilston Craft Gallery:

4 karin March 5, 2006 at 6:43 pm

Great post, I love Alisons work and thanks for sharing all the links!
The Do Redo project is directly related to this topic (and Katarina Brieditis is also one of the writers of the book you link to!), check them out here http://www.doredo.se/display.aspx?lang=2&tid=1&id=3

5 sashwee March 5, 2006 at 9:33 pm

I’d love to read regular posts on altered clothing too!

6 jenny vorwaller March 5, 2006 at 9:43 pm

ok, those skirts are absolutely amazing!!!

7 Jen Leheny March 6, 2006 at 5:52 am

I’m not the expert to write about it but I would love to have this topic as a regular column. :)

8 Fubiz March 7, 2006 at 5:21 am

Beautiful weblog!

9 poco-cocoa March 8, 2006 at 1:54 am

I, too, would love more altered clothing articles!

10 miranda March 10, 2006 at 2:38 pm

“Second Time Cool” is a good book, and it’s getting a positive review on my review blog (see link) when I get around to writing it, but there are some complaints about it in the Amazon reviews (basically, that it contains ideas but not enough instruction or “projects”, which i don’t think is an entirely fair complaint, as the authors SEND you to books with more instruction, and you can’t have a specific project when every thrift-store sweater is going to be different). The audience is also pretty specific – a lot of people will like it, but a lot of other people will be turned off by the sort of avant-garde, art-school-girl feel of what *is* pictured there. I think that creative people can adapt the ideas to their own style, but… it’s one of those things where people who are expecting a book on remodelling felted sweaters from someone like Jil Eaton or the Tricoter owners are going to hate it. A lot of the Amazon complaints are from people who ordered it sight-unseen and are aghast. Nonetheless, I really liked and appreciated it.

11 jeanneen July 31, 2006 at 9:27 pm

I love altered art on clothing and have been doing it as a hobby for about 25 years here and there. Belle Amore magazine will be coming out with Altered Couture in Nov 2006 and there is a book on altered shoes I have been waiting to check out ( A Closet Full Of Shoes). My favorite is designing with vintage fabrics.

12 Shelly Wells August 29, 2007 at 3:13 am

I love altered clothing, furniture,couture, or anything redone. I can’t find books or info on it though to read and try. The Altered Couture magazine is really good but it doesn’t come out often enough.

13 minty/tt December 6, 2008 at 3:03 am

i love altertering or making clothes would love any ideas

14 leslie April 21, 2009 at 7:32 am

I would be very interested in reading articles about recycled clothing.

15 Kathy Davis July 7, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Yes, please. I don’t have a lot of time, but LOVE to be inspired by the many cool things that can be done with previously loved items “evolving” into one-of-a-kind art work that I can wear!!!!