Recycling is their business

by Abigail Percy on April 21, 2006

in Art+Design

What do you call window shopping on the web?
amour sans anguish dress.jpgamour sans anguish jacket.jpgamour sans anguish blazer.jpg

Well, whatever it is, that’s what I’ve been doing lately in search of businesses offering new clothing, made from old clothing. I’m sure no one will be surprised to hear that there is some very awesome clothing-to-clothing crafting going on out there.

Let’s start with Amour Sans Anguish, shall we? Those three photos at the top are from their site. Aren’t these pieces gorgeous? Unfortunately for anyone oohing and aaahing over these pictures, I went ahead and picked images of things already sold; but oh, there is plenty more good stuff where those came from.

Here’s what Amour Sans Anguish‘s website has to say about itself:

We believe in the possibility of making and selling clothing and accessories without sweatshops, using recycled materials,and with specific attention to detail and originality.

Next, I fell in love with this awesome apron from Textile Fetish:

textile fetish apron.jpg

Which has beautiful colour combinations, don’t you think?

Here is how Textile Fetish describes itself:

Textile Fetish sells one-of-a-kind, handmade items, made mostly from reclaimed and recycled materials. We are a home-based, indie business that values family and a decent quality of life. At least fifty percent of what we produce is from recycled and reclaimed fabrics.

And finally for today, beautiful asymmetry in this top from Snowflake66:

snowflake66 top.jpg

whose link was passed on to me from whipup’s own Kathreen (thanks Kathreen!). Snowflake66 is a partner in craft at cut+paste, which is another highly recommended site for web-window shopping, and of course for real old fashioned purchasing shopping too.

1 larissmix April 21, 2006 at 6:53 am

I especially love that last one! I’ve just started making baby bonnets out of recycled materials, and it is amazingly fun. I love making a new piece of wearable one-of-a-kind art out of something from a thrift bin. (if anyone’s interested, you can see them here: http://oliveandbea.etsy.com)

I’m inspired to try an apron like that. As soon as I get a moment in the studio again.

2 Barb April 21, 2006 at 8:11 am

I adore this post. This is what I am passionate about. Recycled and ‘green’ (environmentally sound) materials.

3 Tricoquine April 21, 2006 at 3:30 pm

I love Textile Fetish. I bought a goregous knitting bag from them last summer. She has an eye for mixing colors, textures and patterns. Highly recommended!

4 Mama Bear April 21, 2006 at 5:43 pm

It’s great to see these sites. I use a lot of yarn I reclaimed from thrift store sweaters in my projects, as do my daughters. It allows us to work with wonderful fibers as well as some unusual blends that we just couldn’t buy! I just completed a baby gown of recycled cashmere that I ran along with some tencel threads and it made the most lovely fabric!

5 joi April 22, 2006 at 8:09 am

Dont forget Stephanie Syjuco at antifactory, who also makes awesome things out of recycled clothing!

6 jane April 23, 2006 at 7:01 am

There is a cool store here in Toronto you should check out called Preloved. Website is: http://www.preloved.ca

7 Tawny April 25, 2006 at 8:10 am

Thank you so much for the mention! It’s always so thrilling to find other folks out there interested in sustainable industries! Cheers!

8 ruth singer May 1, 2006 at 3:22 pm

I do it too! make clothes and accessories from recycled materials. There is a sudden flurry of interest in recycling in the UK fashion world because the Crafts Council has put on a show about eco textiles. I’ve done a workshop for them and will be doing more when it tours.