whiplash round 1 finished

by kath_red on May 23, 2006

in Whiplash

whipup

Well whiplash round one is finished with the end of week 6. I hope you all had fun, I certainly loved seeing the different interpretations and checking out new blogs I hope everyone else did too.

I have new ideas for whiplash round 2, but I would also love to hear your ideas too.

And of course who did you love this week?

Feedback please this is the place for it.

1 Ketutar May 23, 2006 at 6:33 pm

New ideas for whiplash round 2? YAY!!!
What do you mean with feedback? Suggestions for themes, or…?

I had many favorites this time just as usually, I loved the bunny colours, the shoes were great and the white box was beautiful.
But, one favorite – I love Ann Wood’s Flying Colors best :-)

2 Miss Dot May 23, 2006 at 6:53 pm

not sure if this is the right spot but I had an idea.. you know how we all see these fabulous Xmas decorations around Xmas but we are too busy to make them? and we say to ourselves “I will def do those NEXT year!” and never do, well, what about doing a Xmas in July project/swap/ATC/comp etc? sorry, if this is the wrong spot for this kinda thing. keep it up, love the site girls, great job.

(I am having some problems with my blog at present, so is p/word protected temp,)

3 knitknat1021 May 23, 2006 at 8:56 pm

I love that each round was based on the books that were being given away each week. I really love this last week it has given me the inspiration to complete a project for the competition.
Keep up the good work.
I can think of a few themes:
Flowers (handmade fabric flower pins)
recycle your world ( show us the items that you are planning on using and then post a picture of the finished product, [ie. turn a dress into a skirt or a skirt into a purse])

4 Kristin La Flamme May 23, 2006 at 8:56 pm

My vote is for the pencil case. Practical. pretty, definitely all about the colors. I can’t wait to see the new ideas for the next round. Maybe I’ll even get around to participating :-)

5 Arancha May 23, 2006 at 9:20 pm

My favorite is the log cabin purse by dozodozo, it´s so nice!!
I´m new in this kind of blogs so I just can´t wait to the next round!! maybe I come in with some of my creations…(I have to create them first…but it will be when I stay at home with my baby!!)
Congratulations for the first round!!

6 kathy May 23, 2006 at 10:10 pm

I really loved the 100 Flower Scarf. Beautiful and a great interpretation of the theme.

I managed to participate in 3 rounds. I have yet to participate in making an apron or a softie even though I love those ideas and month after month intend to participate. I tend to put it off and then feel like I don’t have the time to produce something of quality at the last minute. The Whip Up time constraints sort of give one permission to do it fast and not over think the idea.

One small technical request. It would be useful if the link color for the entries was different for ‘visited’ making it easier to keep track of what I’ve seen as new entries get added. Thanks! It’s been a very fun.

7 clutteringmycouch May 23, 2006 at 10:15 pm

I loved the flower scarf and the pink moufth doll, they were just really cool ideas and so fun. I finally managed to make it into this round and I’d like to do more, it was fun.

8 escheva May 23, 2006 at 11:09 pm

The SHOES!!!!!! Also love the pure bright rainbows of the coloured pencil roll and 100 flower scarf. The scrap map is a really unique idea and ingenius way to actually make use of the little scraps you just can’t bear to part with.

9 Tami May 23, 2006 at 11:16 pm

My favs are the 100-flower scarf and the pencil roll …. both fabulous uses of the full spectrum of color.

Future whiplash contests … I wish it were for 1 week instead of over a weekend. That would still satisfy the short turn-around but would allow for busy weekends to not interfere with whiplash.

Can’t wait to see the next round!

10 mereteveian May 23, 2006 at 11:28 pm

I had a hard time decide, I adore the pencil roll and got a kick out of the black hole.
But right now I think the homemade swiffer gets my vote!
I do need to put bright colors into my daily houseprojects :-)

11 edgegallery May 23, 2006 at 11:43 pm

I liked the swiffer cozy myself.

12 kathi May 24, 2006 at 12:12 am

i loved the 100 flower scarf and the pencil roll also. looking forward to the next round!

13 iHanna May 24, 2006 at 12:29 am

I haven’t looked at everything yet, but I too loved the pencil case and the scarf – and that I participated too! :-)

Maybe next round could be with magazines as prices? I would LOVE to win english or american craft magazines since I can’t get them here to much. And as far as themes… there must be a thousand and one that are possible. I can get back to you with a list if you need it!?! ;-)

Thank you!

14 Trish May 24, 2006 at 12:56 am

I followed Whiplash eagerly, even attempted a project once or twice, but only four days, over the weekend just doesn’t work out, especially if you live the in country like me and it’s hard to get supplies in a timely manner…

This week I Loved the swiffer cozy, the shoes, and the pencil case roll,All very inventive!

15 elisabethaugusta May 24, 2006 at 1:33 am

It’s not easy to pic a favourite among all the nice items, but if I was forced to do so, my choice would have to be the colored pencil roll.

Looking forward to round 2!

16 edgegallery May 24, 2006 at 1:58 am

I would like to see crafted things in fairy tale theme. That would be interesting.

17 Arancha May 24, 2006 at 2:02 am

I loved all the entries, it’s amazing how differently people interpret the same theme, but my favorite one this week was the log cabin purse. I love the color combination! I am looking forward to the second round of Wiplash!

18 Susan at artstream May 24, 2006 at 2:08 am

i love the shoes, the flower scarf – i mean O WOW what a lot of work! –
and I love love love whip up and whiplash.
thank you for doing everything you do!

ps i would like to see world themes – such as language, culture, music, etc.

19 Amy May 24, 2006 at 2:37 am

Pencil roll, flower scarf for me too.

20 chaparrita May 24, 2006 at 2:40 am

The wiplash competition is very interesting.

I haven´t looked at everything yet, but my favorite entry is the log cabin purse. I love the color combination! Wonderful job

It´s not easy to pic the best , but my choice would have tu be DOZODOZO, it´s very very colourfull.

21 domesticali May 24, 2006 at 2:40 am

My favourites – swiffer cover, pecil roll and ann wood’s amazing ship. Whiplash has been great for getting me to have a go and has introduced me to tons of new and interesting blogs – thanks.

22 Mandy May 24, 2006 at 3:44 am

I’ve really enjoyed this competition and gained a lot of inspiration from all of the participants. It seems that just as I gained courage to participate, it’s over already. I’m looking forward to challenging myself creatively with the next series.

my favorite this week was the orange kitty cat with the purple-ish collar.

23 janelle May 24, 2006 at 3:52 am

this ship blows me away! and the pencil case second! there were sooo many good entries this weekend! i love to look through all of them!

24 knitknat1021 May 24, 2006 at 4:06 am

I really like the themes this round but I can think of a few that might be good for next round.
Recycle your world (show us what it started out as and then show us what you created. [ ie. a dress into a skirt, a skirt into a bag,or pants into a skirt])
I wouls like to see it be a few more days also because the busy weekends kept me form participating more.
I did have fun creating the geisha bag though for this week.

25 jixichick May 24, 2006 at 4:14 am

I liked the pencil case, the flower scarf and the rainbow yarn. This week’s challenge was a lot of fun and I’m looking forward to the next round. As far as ideas, I like the fairy tale idea a lot. I also love animals so maybe a zoo theme?

Tanya

26 Kat May 24, 2006 at 5:32 am

Even though she scared me in the past with the wedding dress redo I have to say Flawed Maude’s shoes really were awesome!

27 Rose May 24, 2006 at 7:33 am

I loved Ann Woods “Flying Colors” ship, The shoes are awesome, too (and lots of humor there).

28 laura May 24, 2006 at 8:01 am

My favorites were the pencil roll and the swifter coxy. And the ship of course.

29 Kelaine May 24, 2006 at 9:33 am

I missed entering this week by 7 seconds – wouldn’t let me add my link! Damn, my 56K modem! Anyways, I always enjoy the feedback on my projects that have received over the past few weeks. So after you look at all the entered contestants, please wander over to my site to see stars.

I loved the pipe cleaner shoes, I loved the prismacolor pencil case because the current tin packaging is a nightmare for those fragile pencils and I liked the flip book because it was an action piece. I also really liked the bags and purses this week.. It’s too hard to pick.

30 Llaurie May 24, 2006 at 11:41 am

I second the christmas in july type idea. I also like the ideas of colour in Chroma by Derek Jarman, but not sure of how to use them in a competition.
I didnt really think of it as a competition though. Except against the clock! I loved the idea of the participation in this community :)
~laurie
and i loved the shoes!!!

31 Brooke May 24, 2006 at 3:25 pm

I absolutely adore the pencil case and the 100 flower scarf. When I was little, my folks spoiled me with the 96-piece crayola set, and those crayons were always in *perfect* “rainbow order.

32 AmyP May 24, 2006 at 8:50 pm

I loved the pencil case – it was practical and pretty (can’t say that very often!)

33 Kristin La Flamme May 24, 2006 at 8:52 pm

I’ve been thinking a bit and came up with the senses as a theme or themes (sight, smell, touch, etc.) and maybe more on the emotions (like elation, frustration, bliss, dissapointment) and finally, opposites.

34 Marci May 24, 2006 at 9:08 pm

I like themes that are really specific like objects. It pushes you harder to make something that is orginal!

35 bekka May 26, 2006 at 8:48 am

my favorites were:

100 flower scarf, pile of scrap, and swiffer cozy.

my regret is that i missed several weeks because some weekends are busier than others, especially since whip up fell on easter and mother’s day, right? or were there two other holidays?

but, it was a wonderful exercise in creativity and so amazing to see the different intrpretations.

36 mdhaworth May 27, 2006 at 12:37 pm

I think everyone has hit the ones that were particularly outstanding this week (swiffer, pencil case, scarf).

Just a quick THANK YOU for organizing Whiplash. So fun! I loved seeing all the really good crafts and even the ones that didn’t work out quite right. Folks are so creative!

This weekend I’m not sure how to procrastinate on homework with no Whiplash project so I’m going out of town (but hope to whip up a skirt on Monday)

Big thanks to Kathreen for everything (including the prizes :)