The Easiest or Hardest Craft Project Ever

by Weeks on 10/08/2006

in Community + Creativity

love,learn,serve-big.jpg

In the mid-90s I was at a fork in the road in my professional life and was trying to decide between two directions. I read somewhere that one should choose three words that describe who you want to be and that those words would provide guidance for situations such as mine.

So I came up with mine–Love, Learn and Serve. They have indeed guided me on a daily basis. If I’m doing some of them each day I’m happy and if I’m not I feel as though something is missing. When I met Bill it became our family motto.

A couple of years ago I asked a student of ours with exquisite handwriting to write them with a giant marker on three pieces of paper so we could frame them. They are in our bedroom and are among the first words I see every morning. I’m telling you this is surprisingly powerful.

So I’m thinking now of other places to put words that are really important to each of us. Inside a handbag? Knit into a scarf? Appliqued on a quilt? I’d love to hear about any projects that people have done with words that are important to them.

Just writing the words and putting them in a frame was easy. It was figuring out which words to put in the frame that was the hard part.

1 Anita August 10, 2006 at 9:10 pm

I’ve been thinking about putting words into a quilt for quite awhile, but have never done it. Maybe now is the time.

2 iHanna August 10, 2006 at 9:37 pm

I love these, your framed words look so beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

I have my motto in swedish on my iPod andas in andas ut wich mean breath in, breath out. Something to allways remember when you get stressed or worried!

After posting about my favourit quote in my blog I inspired another crafter to embroider this quote! Love that!

3 Heather August 10, 2006 at 9:42 pm

I recently completed a series of 7 patchwork panels with the words plenty, necessity, decency, conveniency, pleasure, delight and superfluity embroidered on them. A picture and more info can be found on my blog: http://truestitches.blogspot.com It was my first posting, back in May I think.

4 Tisra August 10, 2006 at 10:19 pm

I’m a Christian, so the words of the Bible hold extreme power for me. I have in the past painted paintings where the inspiration and main focus were the words. And this year I made it a goal to paint a few more of these pieces to hang on the wall as reminders/encouragers/milestone markers (it all depends on what the particular piece of scripture is). A recent one was this: http://www.fadely.net/fadely.net/LifeTrain/9DA8EB5E-D8C3-46B3-9B0F-C0F84C2A3618.html

But I like this post because it has reminded me because the power is in the WORDS and they can be written very plainly and still have such a grand impact. Love it. I also love the idea of a family motto…we’ll have to think on that.

5 holly August 10, 2006 at 10:35 pm

I love this post. What an amazing idea. :)

6 Martha August 11, 2006 at 12:14 am

It sounds like the hardest craft project ever! But it’s a tremendous idea and I’d like to do it.

7 laura r. August 11, 2006 at 2:42 am

a fellow swimmer said to me that the Dahli Llama says: prayer is a reminder.
how beautiful that this art is in your bedroom, to see each morning & night, your family moto, your reminder to us all.

8 Winnie August 11, 2006 at 2:44 am

This post is wonderful. I have a small area in my house with a desk and chair. Above it is a shelf with the alphabet painted along the edge, and on the shelf are letters of the alphabet I have found, old typewriter keys, old playing blocks, typeset and even an “AB” from the side of a car or something. I am always putting letters and words of inspiration on the cork board below it and change it when I find new sayings or quotes that pertain to the moment. Sometime soon I will send a picture. I get a lot of comments on this area of the house – people seem to enjoy looking at the new messages I have found.

9 artesprit August 11, 2006 at 6:48 am

i love words in quilts and am always inspired by the ones people choose carefully to add to their handiwork. these three are most impressive!

10 Errant August 11, 2006 at 1:55 pm

This rings really strongly for me…
I really want to make some jewellery with etched or raised words of inspiration or reminders of beauty. I’ve a plain ring on my finger, like a blank piece of paper to remind me that there’s a space waiting for me to find the right words (and get the equipment to do it!)
If it’s also shaped for you to run your fingers over in times of trial or need of inspiration, all the better :)
I’ll see if I can find my three words – I’m sure one of them will be ‘discover’.
Thankyou.

11 Line Kristine August 11, 2006 at 6:54 pm

I knitted a bracelet with pearls for myself. The pearls spell the word hope (in Norwegian håp), which is a very important word for me. Now I can have the word hope on my wrist and have it with me wherever I am.
I`m thinking about making something else with hope on too. Maybe a purse? I don`t know yet. Nice to read what you have written here. Your framed words is a really good idea. Gives me inspiration! Have a nice day!
Love from Norway.

12 Shelley (Pink House) August 11, 2006 at 10:31 pm

I have put words, quotes, poems into quilts. I choose a block of fabric (linen or quality muslin, or light colored fabric) and first print out the words on the computer in the size and font I want, then trace it onto the fabric (hold it up to the window and trace with light shining through the back). Next I embroider the words using a simple chain stitch and I like to use a mottled variegated embroidery thread (Wildflowers by Caron). Then I trim down the edges of the block to fit my quilt. I’ve done this on a few quilts that have won awards – one was a Emily Dickenson poem. Also – I usually do a cool label for the back of quilts that I give as gifts (like the ones I do for my nieces graduations) and just write on them with permanent fine-point ink. If you don’t trust your handwriting, you can first print it out on the computer and then trace over that.

13 Andrea August 12, 2006 at 12:42 am

I absolutely love this idea! There is a piece of wall in my apartment that, until now, I had no idea how to fill it. Thanks so much!