memewatch: Ornament swap

by maitreya on 20/10/2006

in Community + Creativity

cake + pie and freshly blended are hosting a holiday ornament swap. You’ll make 8-10 ornaments and get the same back. Signups go until November 1.

ornament.jpg

1 jane October 20, 2006 at 8:58 am

What’s happening to homemade/handmade? The more time goes by, the crafts seem to get more and more precious and fancy. Look at this invitation for ornaments. It gives me a sort of nauseous feeling. Too much, too precise. There seems to be less and less room for discovery and mistakes — more and more about who can come up with the slickest and sleekest. Bleh.

2 Kathleen October 20, 2006 at 9:50 am

Thanks so much for posting about our swap!

3 Donni October 20, 2006 at 5:00 pm

The ever Patient Swapful Rox at http://www.thefearlessknitter.com/blog.htm is also running her 2nd annual “Ornamental” (love that name) swap over at http://ornamental2.blogspot.com/ Ornamental2…..you only have to do one swap on that one…

4 nicole October 20, 2006 at 7:47 pm

double thank you for posting our swap info!
Jane, i’m sorry that you get nauseous at the site of our swap logo, we never intended it that way. maybe if you join in our swap, you might be able to open yourself up about being so judgemental on people you don’t know. being inspired is not about being sleek nor slick, it’s about being creative and those that are truly creative get inspired by all things, whether it be very very precise design or loosly drawn illustrations to nature or even architecture. nothing is ever good or bad in art, everything is different.

5 Kathleen October 20, 2006 at 8:08 pm

Sorry you feel that way Jane, but our swap is not about what is slick and sleek, its about gathering a diverse group of people to make handmade ornaments to share with each other. Our logo was designed by the very talented Nicole of freshly{blended} and I think its fantastic. Our logo is meant to annouce our swap and it is intended to look festive…which it does.

6 MissMeshell October 20, 2006 at 10:25 pm

Whoa…that’s not how I took it at all! I think it will be an absolute ball and I can’t wait for it to start, yay for handmade ornaments and christmas swapping. =)

Thanks so much for organising it girls!

7 MissMeshell October 20, 2006 at 10:27 pm

and I think the logo is absolutely gorgeous…props to you Nicole. =)

8 Another Jane October 23, 2006 at 8:10 pm

Well I hope there’s not some crazy set rule about what is or isn’t good enough – I certainly didn’t take it that way. I think the rule in any swap is, don’t send out anything you wouldn’t be pleased to receive yourself and after that, it’s up to you. There’s nothing in the invite that says you can’t make mistakes along the way. I’m really looking forward to this one!

9 Kathleen October 24, 2006 at 11:53 pm

Thanks Jane…that is a great rule, and you’re right, there is nothing saying you can’t make mistakes. I am FAR from perfect and sure I will make many. That is part of the charm of making handmade ornaments. Glad you are looking forward to the swap…so are we!