Whiptips: Where can I get good quality wool felt?

by kath_red on 15/11/2006

in News+Letters

Whiptips craft advice column for readers to ask questions or offer advice by leaving comments. Whiptips archive here. Questions to whiptips@gmail.com. Please include photos!

Robyn writes in asking where can she purchase really top quality wool felt? and I want to know if there are any bargains to be had.

I know that I can make felt thrifted from wool sweaters and the like. I have also bought very expensive felt from catalog children’s sites like Magic Cabin. I want to know where readers think the best source for good crafting felt is…

1 Amy November 15, 2006 at 11:57 am

I’ve found reasonably priced wool/poly blend felt by the bolt at Hancock Fabrics. They also sell the really cheap felt of course but I was pleasantly suprised when I found another row of nice felt of a different blend in pretty colors. The price ran about $6 – $7 a yard. I don’t believe they have it in-stock on their website but do in their brick & mortar stores.

2 michelle November 15, 2006 at 1:44 pm

I don’t see it in their online store but Morehouse Farm Merino has some very nice felt. I want to say the large felt caps are about 6? But they often have scrap bags that they sell for $4-5, which I totally love. If your not in the area to visit in person you can call – they are very friendly.

3 mimi k November 15, 2006 at 8:20 pm

In the US, Joanns fabrics has wool blend felt that is pretty nice. They have sales all the time so if you watch, you can get it for 50% off. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to be totally colorfast because I’ve bought some where there is a stripe of faded color at the fold.
Beautiful 100% wool felt is available at http://www.edinburghimports.com , but it is VERY expensive (around $40 yard?). I have heard that it is much cheaper at http://www.thefeltpeople.com/ although I’ve had no experience with them. I know several doll artists who use them.

4 Another Jane November 15, 2006 at 11:26 pm

I like the felt at weirdollsandcrafts.

I know Hillary Lang of Wee Wonderfuls fame has recommended felt from achildsdream.com

5 Andi November 16, 2006 at 1:34 am

Remember that a lot of woven wool garments can also be felted (actually fulled) using the same technique that you use to felt sweaters. This will result in a thinner, more drapey fabric than the felted sweaters. There is also the option of making felt from wool roving the old fashioned way, using wet felting techniques.

6 rfg November 16, 2006 at 4:12 am

I have also heard that achildsdream.com is a good resource. It is also available at Brooklyn General Store (http://brooklyngeneral.com/products/FT-wool-felt.htm).

7 Kate November 16, 2006 at 6:47 am

In Australia this place is wonderful

8 Mary Stanley November 16, 2006 at 11:58 am

I bought some very nice quality wool felt from http://www.twiningthread.com in Newport, Oregon. They have packs with a great variety of colors.

9 rooruu November 16, 2006 at 12:16 pm

Quilt shops can be good, particularly if they also have stitchery/primitive/wool projects as part of their stock and so are likely to have the wool felt to support this. In Australia, Berrima Patchwork in Berrima NSW is usually a constant stockist of wool felt.

10 Simmyb November 17, 2006 at 4:45 am

I prefer to use 100% wool felt but was finding it quite expensive so I started dyeing old blankets. They have to be pure wool and not threadbare else they fray at the edges. But cut them up, wash on high temperature and dye with dylon or I’ve been plant dyeing. The colours are gorgeous AND you have plenty on hand to use and give away. However, the blanket is a bit thicker than felt but that doesn’t bother me. I have some pics on my blog of colours and quality if you want to see.

11 gina November 17, 2006 at 1:07 pm

I love Weeks Dye Works. It is consistent in quality and dye color. You can buy a ring of swatches in solid, herringbone and houndstooth- so you can match your project…plus they have over-dyed flosses and pearl cottons. They added a bunch of “springy” colors recently. Plus they are super nice.

12 Tammy November 17, 2006 at 8:51 pm

http://www.joggles.com has lots of wool felt & excellent service – the most amazing speedy delivery EVER. I bought some 100% wool felt locally & can’t use it for some of my crafts because I don’t like the weave that’s in it (does that mean it’s not felted enough???), and felted sweaters are too thick for a lot of tiny things, too – so I’m going to start using more of the blends.

13 charlene November 19, 2006 at 11:19 am

while we’re on the subject, where can you find nice thick industrial wool felt? I’m also looking to possible have it laser cut.

14 Emily November 21, 2006 at 6:16 am

I have found great bargains of wool felt at thrift shops. Usually it is hanging with the curtains or other household goods. Also you can buy cheap 100% wool sweaters there and throw them in the washer with soap. The results vary, but sometimes the sweaters are so cheap it’s worth taking the risk.

15 soozs November 24, 2006 at 9:14 am

I second Kate’s recommendation – Winterwood (http://www.winterwoodtoys.com.au/) sells the best quality hand dyed pure wool felts I have ever come across (as well as a fantastic range of other amazing things). They ship internationally too. I use blankets, shrunk jumpers and other materials too, but winterwood felt is my favourite by a country mile.