whiptips – baby shower favours

by kath_red on 19/02/2007

in News+Letters

Whiptips craft advice column for readers to ask questions or offer advice by leaving comments. Whiptips archive here. Questions to whiptips@gmail.com.

Soren writes in:

My yoga class is having a [baby] shower for our teacher, and since I’m the arty one, the organizer has asked me if I could make favors for it. She requested “something people will actually want to *keep*, not something lame like a bottle of jellybeans” – no offense to anyone who has done that! So it has to be something that it won’t take me too long to make – for 15-20 people. (I also have to make her a present from me, so I’ll be BUSY!) I have a month to do it in, but I have NO ideas! Please, help!

1 jennifer w. February 19, 2007 at 9:32 am

Oh – party favors – my favorite!

I made dishtowel aprons (12) for a baby shower: http://flickr.com/photos/thefeltmouse/201070636/in/set-72157594339192312/. I finished them in two evenings, so didn’t take too long at all. I still hear back from people about how much they love their aprons.

There are some other great ideas in the Flickr Party Favors group: http://flickr.com/groups/party_favors/pool/

2 Kuky February 19, 2007 at 10:20 am

Well at my baby shower my sister-in-law had candles. They were in boxes and they had nice ribbons with a tag that had the date and event printed on it. They were very simple but lovely. We even kept a couple. And you know candles are something that most people will want to keep and use.

3 Cindy H February 19, 2007 at 10:28 am

What about eye bags for relaxation? They are simple to make— a soft fabric made into a rectangle pillow and filled with rice or flax seed and then scented with essential oil. A new mom would benefit from some extra relaxation props and they would be appreciated by the other women too. They could be wrapped in colored tissue paper and then clear cellophane and then tied on each end like a piece of candy — or you could make some cute pillow boxes (see http://www.skiptomylou.wordpress.com for pattern)to put them in. Another idea would be a CD of easy listening music. You could copy them yourself and make cute labels for the CD and CD case. For Valentine’s Day I made a ton of travel tissue holders. They were really simple to make and everyone loved them. I gave a baby shower around Easter one year and all of the women went home with a beautifully decorated egg(I found them at a store) that they could hang on an egg tree. Hope this helps!

4 Pink February 19, 2007 at 10:35 am

I’d make mini baby bootees and attach to a key chain ; )

5 Amy February 19, 2007 at 11:01 am

This isn’t really something of the “keep and use” variety… more of the “this is so flippin adorable and clever” variety. Maybe as an extra?

6 tagurity February 19, 2007 at 11:20 am

If you have a sewing machine, yoga mat bags would be a great gift idea. Sure, some members may have one, but it is practical and also keeps with the interests of the attendees.

7 megan February 19, 2007 at 11:28 am

most people like tea…just an idea.
you could buy loose tea in bulk and package it in little jars or tubes.
maybe with a personalized sticker?
the herb + ginger tea packaging looks nice.

8 hundredflowers February 19, 2007 at 12:43 pm

You could buy some wildflower or sunflower seeds and put them in little printed envelopes, like the little vellum novelty ones they have at papersource. A seed is a good symbol for a baby shower. You could even seal it with one of those those dried flower stickers that they have in sticker places. If you feel very crafty you could try to make some kind of origami stork to go with it or some kind of paper baby bootie or diaper to hold the seeds.

Or you could do a flower bulb in a bulb vase or little flower pot with a little message like “by the time growing is done, so and so will have their little one.” I bet Ikea would have some cute pots for cheap.

9 joanna February 19, 2007 at 1:24 pm

Maybe you could make a bouquet of tissue paper flowers to use as a table centerpiece. Then when it’s time to go home each person can take one.

10 wooljane February 19, 2007 at 8:26 pm

I had the same concern about party favors for my daughter’s birthdays. Here’s are a couple of things that I have done to make the entire favor worth saving – eliminating throw-away bags:
………a bandana folded into an envelope and secured with a colored binder clip (you could use ribbon, or some other kind of attractive clip (or since its a baby shower, you could use a white cloth and an over-sized safety pin) or sew in a removable drawstring, or if you fold it right, you could do without a fastener)
………. a white 4×6 or 5×8 5×8 envelope with a group photo of all the guests at the party (although this required some time to be spent during the party, it wasn’t too difficult when the party was at my house – it could be done in advance with pre-selected photos). It makes a nice memento for all guests

11 Vone February 19, 2007 at 9:11 pm

For my friend’s baby shower I gave a gift bag of her cravings.
A green apple, mint chocolate cookies, chai tea and a dollar coupon for McDonalds.

12 shirley f adams February 19, 2007 at 9:14 pm

For the Mother to Bee, i would make a tote bag or diaper bag, and put some little odd’s and end in it. but tote bag are my thing! everyone like’s tote bags. i usally line mine. there a lot of free patterns on line.
for the other guest coffee cups work well maybe in some baby colors. then add sample’s of tea’s or coffee. wrap with color paper bow it, its done. Dollar stores are good for supplies or even Big lots..
HAVE FUN!

13 Beth February 19, 2007 at 9:47 pm

I second the aprons. They don’t smack of “look, I got this as a favor. I’ll probably throw it away next spring cleaning and feel mildly guilty about it.”

14 Kayleigh February 19, 2007 at 10:34 pm

At my cousin’s baby shower that we just had, we did these cute little bags and put tea bags in them. We closed them up with a few hole punches and some ribbon. We also put a label on the front that said the parent’s names-baby shower and the date of the shower. It was really cute and all the guests loved them.

15 sarah jane February 19, 2007 at 11:20 pm

for my baby shower i sewed little drawstring bags, filled them with tea, chocolate, etc., and made tage with each guest’s name. it’s nothing fancy, but it didn’t take long. the goodies inside were eaten and the bag could be reused for many different things.

16 tiffanykapri February 20, 2007 at 1:19 am

I love the flower/seeds ideas. How about seeds or a bulb in a container decorated like this… http://domesticatedinnyc.typepad.com/about.html

17 simone February 20, 2007 at 3:46 am

I second the tea idea. If you have Chinatown near you (or maybe even Whole Foods), you can find whole blossom tea flowers that unfold into a beautiful flower when you make tea:

I’d just package them in a pretty little bag with some cookies (homemade if you like) and voila! I’d be happy with that.

Here’s some martha cookies:

18 Lisa February 20, 2007 at 3:58 am

As a yoga teacher, one thing I’m always looking for is new music for class, ideally something mellow and instrumental with no vocals. Maybe you could make a gift pack with a custom CD (which could also double as lullaby music) and the eye pillow (very easy to make, filled with flax seed from the health food store and lavendar flowers for relaxing properties).

19 precious February 20, 2007 at 4:10 am

Small potted flowers… they double as centerpieces during the shower.

Small potted plants from from Trader Joe’s
Signs printed on cardstock, glued to coffee stirrers
Ribbon from Michael’s tied around the pot for the bows

20 Michelle February 20, 2007 at 6:28 am

A terracotta pot and a tulip or hyacinth bulb (or summer bulb like a day lily) would be a great takeaway gift. The partygoers only have to pot the bulb, place outside and wait for spring!

21 Deirdre February 20, 2007 at 7:38 am

It seems to me you’d want to use a yoga theme in some way or other. How about using the symbol for Om or the word Namaste in some way or other? How about little boxes of nag champa incense with handmade labels? Incense burners? Is there an inexpensive, quick way of making mat bags or carriers? Perhaps something using the symbol for either the solar plexus or groin chakra? Try a search on “yoga gifts.”

22 cori February 20, 2007 at 9:39 am

i love the apron idea..
here is my idea.. i love the little magnets and you could personalize them, i would make like 3 each. they are so cute and who couldnt use a magnet?!
I am getting married in May and this is what we are doing for our wedding favors.
hope you like the idea, let us all know what you chose to do.

23 cori February 20, 2007 at 9:40 am

i forgot to add the link.. oops

24 juliastitches February 20, 2007 at 10:08 am

When my friends were almost due we had a ‘Blessing Way’. A ceremony to give the woman love and strength for birth and motherhood. Each person brought one beautiful bead (home made or purchased) and one person was responsible for organising stringing it up for her after the blessing. Going around in a circle, each woman gave her the bead and gave her positive and reassuring words (all negative birth stories and fear definately not welcome at this special baby blessing). The woman could either hold the string of beads, wear it, or hang it up near by while in labour. The idea being that she feels all of the combined strength of her sister for her journey.
OR handmade gift vouchers offering childcare (for older siblings), house cleaning, meal cooking, massage etc etc.
OOPS I see I haven’t answered the question properly.

25 katie February 20, 2007 at 3:39 pm

do you want ot try my paper packages ? you could make bigger ones and fill them with little treats (chocolate occurs!) check them out http://www.whatkatiedid.typepad.com – post for 17th feb
good luck

26 Tab February 20, 2007 at 7:08 pm

Just to throw another idea out there, the last baby shower that I threw I got a whole bunch of tiny vases (To be honest it was walmart, I hate the place, but it was the only place I could find small, single flower size vases.) We bought a bunch of daisies (cheap and pretty) and lavendar. Every vase got a daisy and a little lavendar, we tied ribbon around each one and attatched a little label. They were a huge hit! They’ve been wonderful for the kids in my life bringing me a few picked flowers and dandelions! These are usually really short and die quickly because I can’t get the water to them. These were perfect.

27 Another Jane February 20, 2007 at 10:29 pm

Lucky bamboo, or make molded chocolates.

28 Stacey February 21, 2007 at 2:31 am

Since the mom to be is a yoga teacher, what about something yoga related?

Perhaps a yummy loose tea packaged in a clear or frosted mini take out box. If you choose a tea with flower buds or colorful leaves it will show nicely through the box.

Or maybe a nice muscle soak for after class packaged the same way.

You can easily print up colorful tags to tie on the boxes and 20 of them will take you no time at all to whip up!

29 jenny February 21, 2007 at 4:16 am

Boo Boo Bunnies are made are made from washclothes. Everyone can use an extra washcloth. The directions say to glue the parts, but I would just do a single stitch for the pompom and use a marker for the eyes. Cute poems too.

30 Randi February 21, 2007 at 4:24 am

Hello,

Here is a tutorial for an easy little tote bag. They are made with dishtowels so they are cheap too!

31 Elizabeth Gower February 21, 2007 at 4:47 am

For a shower I gave, I made book thongs, they were a big hit. I used colored wire and attached crystal beads at the end the color of the baby’s birthstone.

32 bitterbetty February 21, 2007 at 6:22 am

I think anything with a nest or egg on it is lovely.. Perhapes decoupaged votive candle holders?

33 B February 22, 2007 at 6:18 am

A friend recently threw a WONDERFUL ‘spa’ themed shower- she whipped up 5 or 6 natural face masks, scrubs, and toners that everyone could try out (tons of recipes online, just need grocery store and blender) For the favors, she requested everyone bring a bottle of their favorite essential oil. She had made a batch of lotion and put them in little bottles, and everyone blended their own lotion with oils. Also, In advance, she made two kinds of glycerine soaps (super easy): a rosemary mint, and a lavendar- she dried them in PVC tubes, so when they firmed up, all she had to do was take them out of the tube and slice the rounds. She bought some cute plastic gift bags and ribbons and everyone could take home a couple soaps with their lotion. Mama-to-be needs to be careful about using an oils herself, and there are a few that shouldn’t even be open in the room with her, so read up on it if you go this route. We had a great time!

34 Erica February 23, 2007 at 10:21 pm

For my sisters baby shower I bought a large bag of river rocks from home depot and I ordered forcing blubs in bulk online from http://www.johnscheepers.com/. I purchased clear bags and satin ribbon from a craft store. I created a small tag in photoshop. I put the river rocks and 2-3 bulbs in each bag, strung the tag on the ribbon and tied the top of the bag. People raved about them, during the party and afterwards when the flowers were growing. They were really easy to make and they looked great.

35 alicia recker March 13, 2007 at 9:21 am

for my sisters baby shower, i made boo-boo bunnies and they were a really big hit, everybody thought they were adorable, and thought it was such a nice gesture to recieve a take home, hand made gift to remember the event by.

36 Eileen May 18, 2007 at 12:16 am

Have any of you shopped at erinsbabyshop.com or strollers4kate.com.
Please send any comments.