A little corn with your batting?

by Weeks on 01/08/2007

in Green Crafting, Quilting

batting.jpg

There’s a new environmentally friendly quilting batting on the block called Eco-craft. It’s made from corn (I know–corn?) but looks in every other way like polyester batting. Mountain Mist, the manufacturer of Eco-craft, and The International Quilt Study Center are hosting a competition using all natural materials. I’d love to hear from anyone who has actually quilted with it.

There are also some new offerings from Quilter’s Dream, the makers of my favorite batting. There’s a new polyester batting called Dream Puff that the manufacturer claims is warmer than down. Given that I live in Chicago which sees its share of cold weather, I’ll be trying this one out as soon as I can and will report back. I’m already a huge fan of their cotton and wool batting, both of which can be machine washed and dried. The really great thing about Quilter’s Dream batting is the soft drape that it gives to the quilt.

1 Amy August 1, 2007 at 9:35 pm

We went to Maui and went whale watching with the Pacific Whale Foundation and they had cups made from corn! I am not surprised to see there are more items being made this way!

2 Bon August 1, 2007 at 9:38 pm

Corn??? What do they treat it with to make it unattractive to rodents and insects, I wonder?

3 rachel August 1, 2007 at 10:26 pm

maybe they treat it with the same stuff they use for the cotton?!!!!
seriously, i use the cotton cause i think of those little baby lungs breathing in the polyester and ‘fire resistant’ chemicals and it scares me…but I NEVER thought about the cotton being ‘treated’ against bugs. same thing no?
oh jeez.
chemicals are sooo bad.

i wonder if the process for the corn batting isnt just as bad as making polyester?
is it fo’ real?
or just another green wash’d product to make cash and no real care for the environment or us? (and all the babys i make quilts for ?)

4 Patricia August 3, 2007 at 1:53 am

Hmmm. Unless it’s organic, cotton isn’t very eco-friendly either because of those very pesticides.

5 Jasmin August 3, 2007 at 9:06 am

I wrote about the environmental ramifications of Eco-Craft here:

Hope your readers will find it useful!

6 Deb G August 3, 2007 at 9:13 am

Another concern-is the corn a GMO or not? Unless it’s labeled organic corn I personally wouldn’t take a chance.

7 Donna August 4, 2007 at 12:01 am

I wrote an article about this batting on my blog, http://www.verticalquiltingcurve.com/mountain-mist-creates-eco-friendly-quilt-batting/

I haven’t used it yet because I haven’t found it in the stores when Mountain Mist said it should be available.