Tutorial: Ribbon Pinecone Ornament

by contributor on 09/10/2007

in Holidays, Whip Up Tutorials

Ribbon Pinecone Ornament Tutorial by Jenna.

Ornaments for any occasion – try fall colors for Halloween or red and green for Christmas. A no sew project suitable for most age groups (young children might need supervision with pins though).

What you’ll need:
* 3 yards of 7/8 inch wide ribbon (for points) (I used 1 yard each of 3 different shades of brown, 2 grosgrain ribbons and 1 sateen for variety).
* 20 or so inches of ¼ inch wide ribbon (for hanger)
* 3-inch foam egg
* 150-200 straight pins (preferably flat-headed, sometimes called sequin pins)

Instructions:

* Cut your ribbon into 1¾ inch long pieces. I used about 60 to make this pinecone, but you can cut pieces as you go along so that you don’t waste ribbon.
* The small end of your egg will inevitably be exposed so pin one piece of ribbon to cover the end.
* To make each triangle point- Fold right and left corners down to meet the center of the opposite edge to create a triangle. Finger press these folds.

* Starting at narrow end of egg, pin a triangle point end down (folded side to the egg) and place one pin in each top corner. Make sure this first row overlaps your piece of ribbon that is already pinned to the egg.
* Continue folding and pinning triangles to your egg, staggering their position and making sure that each successive row covers the last row’s pins. I like a random look so I don’t really keep track of how many are in each row or how evenly they are spaced.

* When you get to the top, fold the triangles a little more narrow (just overlap the corners a bit when folding them down) so that they are a bit smaller and the pins show less. At the very top, I like to cover the last row of pins with one final piece of ribbon that is folded on both ends so there aren’t any raw edges.
* Using your smaller ribbon, thread it back and forth onto a pin to make a loop for hanging and smaller loops to form a bow. Press this pin into the very top of the egg adding just a bit of glue to the tip of the pin before inserting it.

About the maker: Jenna Z. lives in the Midwest with her husband, a cat and a corgi. She works in a library and can be found at her personal blog, Corgipants and at the SwapDex. Jenna is doing Oc-Tute-ber this month and will be posting new tutorials all month long – check them out.

To submit a story, article or tutorial please read the submission guidelines.

1 JunieMoon October 9, 2007 at 3:58 pm

What a cute idea for an ornament. Thank you for sharing the tutorial.

2 meowy October 10, 2007 at 12:14 am

This is so cute!

3 Maitreya October 11, 2007 at 5:13 am

This is kinda genius.

4 Sara October 11, 2007 at 11:56 pm

I make Christmas ornaments for all of my friends and family every year, and I think this might be the one I make for 2007! LOVE it!!

5 JB October 12, 2007 at 12:37 pm

Wow! That is a really complex little ornament, but it’s huge on charm! Thanks for sharing that. My Mom loves to work with ribbon but doesn’t have a computer, so she’ll really enjoy this when I share it with her.

:-)

6 Loretta October 12, 2007 at 9:38 pm

That is adorable! And way less smelly than real pinecones, which I was thinking about using this year for ornament making. Thanks for the project idea :)

7 Davy October 15, 2007 at 5:22 am

You should send a copy of this page to Martha Stewart, get your 15 min. of fame!

8 Thrift Shop Romantic October 25, 2007 at 7:25 pm

Really clever idea, and good timing for anyone hoping to get started on the project in enough time for Christmas (because I don’t know about you, but my craft plans for the holidays and then what I actually end up getting accomplished are often two different things!)

9 Homemaker of the 21st Century December 31, 2007 at 12:22 am

Wow! What a beautiful ornament, it looks so realistic, hard to belive it was made with ribbon! Great job :)

10 Art Sense December 19, 2008 at 2:06 pm

What a great idea! My family and I pick a craft to do together every Christmas. I think this could be the one for next year! I like all of the step by step photos. Thank you!

11 Myrna Taylor June 26, 2011 at 12:08 am

Years ago a friend gave me some of these, and I lost them in hurricane Katrina. Mine were made over egg-shaped carboard cut-outs and were more flat, but looked the same from a distance. I’m so glad to find this site! I can’t wait to try to make replacements for the ones I lost. Thank you so much!

12 Patricia November 7, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I have been looking for this pattern for the pinecone for over 20 years, I had made some and sold them and gave the rest to friends but we have moved away and started our lives new somewhere else. Thank you so much.

13 Cindy November 13, 2011 at 11:49 am

I have to tell you I was so excited to see this. I made and sold a lot of these quite a few years ago in all different sizes. I still have 2 shoe boxes full of eggs and a draw filled with ribbon and wanted to do more, but had lost the info on how long to cut ribbon for the basic size and had not gotten the intiative to figure it out. Thanks, I will be making more of these…maybe to give, maybe to sell.

14 connie ferrell December 26, 2012 at 9:19 pm

A student gave me one of these ornaments about 20 years ago and I still have it on my tree. I never had the heart to take it apart to get the pattern. Thank you for sharing.