whiptips: leather sourcing

by kath_red on October 11, 2007

in News+Letters

Whiptips craft advice column for readers to ask questions or offer advice by leaving comments. Whiptips archive here. Questions to whiptips@gmail.com.

Hello, I’m hoping someone out there can help me find a source for aniline leather- i make cuffs and headbands out of it, embellished with various elements that I sew on, given that this type of leather is so soft. I cannot find a source that is willing to work with me – I have found that if you aren’t an upholsterer, they’re not interested in working with you. Please help! I’m in the US, but I’m not opposed to paying international shipping if I can get the product quality I’m looking for.

Thanks so much!

Heather

1 ina and gumby October 11, 2007 at 7:45 am

… i use tandy leather straps for the felted bag project i have in my patterns … their website … http://www.tanyleatherfactory.com … and i do believe they handle larger quantities and wholesale as well … give it a whirl … and best wishes … happy days!

2 ina and gumby October 11, 2007 at 7:46 am

… sorry for the typo … http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com

3 Paula October 11, 2007 at 8:38 am

Perhaps you can find an upholsterer who would be willing to share their scraps.

4 Heather October 12, 2007 at 12:30 am

Thanks! I actually tried some local upholsterers, and they were less than helpful, and actually quite curt. Not sure why!

Tandy looks perfect- thanks so much!

heather

5 Sarah October 12, 2007 at 5:14 am

Sorry I don’t have any links, but i know I’ve seen leather for sale at some of the larger independent fabric retailers, though I have no idea what level of quality they have. I have also seen it for sale on trips to NYC’s garment district (Moda comes to mind – they have an encyclopedic selection). I’m willing to bet that calling around to some shops there you would be able to find what you are looking for from a shop willing to work by phone/mail if they don’t do sales by web. In short, I’d start my search with fashion fabric (or retail upholstery) sellers used to selling to consumers in relatively small quantities, rather than starting with upholsterers and their suppliers, and I think you’d have good luck in NYC.
Let us know how it goes, and share some photos!

6 Jeannie Crockett October 12, 2007 at 6:51 am

There is a seller on eBay: Leatherwise, where I’ve purchase some absolutely beautiful leather. Lots of choices. Good prices.