Best Sewing Patterns 2007

by Kim on January 15, 2008

in Sewing+Fabric

Simplicity Pattern
the big winner – Simplicity 3775!

The folks over at Pattern Review have compiled their top 15 favorite sewing patterns of 2007. Amy Butler and Built By Wendy both made the ranks. Each entry includes photos of FOs made from the patterns by Pattern Review members. I’ll definitely be picking up some of these patterns at the next 99-cent sale. (For those not in the U.S. — do you have equivalent sales or do patterns tend to hold fast at full price?)

1 melissa January 15, 2008 at 11:42 pm

Here in the UK, patterns are overinflated above the US prices to begin with, and we’ll maybe get one or two 10% off sales during a year. So it usually makes sense to just order a big batch from the US, even if they’re “full price” over there.

That being said, expensive patterns aren’t necessarily a bad thing – it’s kept my stash from growing out of control!

2 katrin January 15, 2008 at 11:46 pm

over here (germany) patterns tend to stay at the price with which they are listed at the beginning. most unfortunately, I have to say.
exceptions from the rule are patterns which are out of print or discontinued or if a shop only has one or two left and will not order the same pattern anymore. Of course they will never have one left in the size you need…
lucky you if you find something at a flea market or evilbay.

meanwhile I tend to shop online (meaning europe or usa) to get what I want or to take advantage of sales prices. heaven thanks there’s internet!

3 Jess January 16, 2008 at 3:24 am

Here in New Zealand the main fabric/ sewing shop has regular 1/2 price sales.

4 michelle January 16, 2008 at 7:57 am

I was quite surprised to find a pattern I had used in this list! Number 15: New Look 6557 Sundress. I however ended up altering the pattern a lot, styled very much like the model on the package, but I added a taller v-shaped back rather than just straps. I used a stiff cotton home-decor fabric in pale cream with big green and pink chrysanthemums on it, wore it to a college roommate’s wedding in Sept ’06.

5 Myam January 16, 2008 at 9:33 am

In the Philippines, no store sells these patterns. I would love to get my hand on these, at any price.

6 Janice January 16, 2008 at 9:51 am

Here in Western Canada there are always patterns on sale. The fabric store (there is only one major fabric chain here at the moment) rotates the sales but there is always at least one companys patterns on sale. We can often get them for $1.49, 2.50, 2.99 etc. I never pay full price.

7 Liz January 19, 2008 at 5:52 am

IN Costa Rica there aren’t any stores that sell these patterns. If they did, they would go for full price. The patterns we get here are from magazines like Burday, where you have to trace them.