This is an almost no-sew tutu project that is perfect for any kid who can tie a single knot (usually 5 years and up). This is perfect as a girl birthday party craft.
Materials Needed: Tulle – 3 yards, Elastic Waist Band 1″ wide, Needle and Thread, Scissors, Measuring Tape, Optional: Hot Glue, Artificial flowers and/or sequins
Adult Prep Part:
1. Measure child’s waist. Cut elastic 2 inches longer than waist measurement.
2. Using needle and thread, overlap elastic ends 1/2″ and stitch securely.
3. Cut Tulle into strips measuring 4″ x 18″. They don’t have to be perfectly cut. Try to keep the 4″ pretty regular. If you want a longer tutu cut strips more than 18″ or shorter for a shorter fluffier tutu.
Kid Fun Part:
1. Fold tulle strip in half and tie around waist band using single or double knots.
2. Repeat until tutu is full and fluffy.
3. Decorate – then wear
Ask an adult to stitch on (or hot glue) flowers or sequins. You can use white glue to also add embellishments but that takes a while to dry and girls usually want to wear their tutus right away.
About the designer: Alicia is a stay-at-home mom & craft addict. She likes to recycle fabric & old jewelry into new things and used to teach kids parties as well as sell craft kits for kids. Website and blog.