stubby stanly

by kath_red on 24/02/2008

in Art+Design

Warning: private human body parts are depicted in yarn (be aware if clicking on links)

sorry guys but it IS alt craft month after all – this is stubby stanly by knit goddess and is a modified version of beanis from the anticraft

1 hilda February 24, 2008 at 12:36 pm

I find this offensive. I mean it is okay if you make this, but I don’t find it appropriate for a CRAFT type blog. UGH!

2 Lisa February 24, 2008 at 12:43 pm

Somehow, I can’t imagine my grandma whipping this up. Too funny, but I am a bit juvenile.

3 nicole February 24, 2008 at 5:55 pm

this is hilarious! especially since someone got offended over it! i love how the balls are fuzzy.

4 glittrgirl February 24, 2008 at 6:09 pm

This made me laugh. Thanks for posting! Craft can emcompass all sorts of expression and I am pleased you post all sorts here.

5 James February 25, 2008 at 12:27 am

This is great! Thanks for sharing this. Just goes to show that crafters can be real creative :-) As for it being offensive, oh please. It’s just a representation of a part of a human body, and a very creative one :-)

6 DeerDominique February 25, 2008 at 12:46 am

I love it. I think it’s hilarious. I will never understand why yarn representations of human anatomy are offensive. The fuzzy nuts are great (oh, um…. I mean the testicles)

7 crochetdoll February 25, 2008 at 1:17 am

I think that this is not a shame, but the proof that crochet (and knit too) can be a real contemporary technique. Enough with doilies and child’s outfits!….but…let’s much more creative!

8 Mike Elmore February 25, 2008 at 1:44 am

Offensive!!! I don’t think so, I find this hilarious. My eyes bulged out when I saw this and then I started laughing uncontrollably.

Hilda, the great thing about being a human, you can decide whats offensive to you, and you have the power to never see it again by not coming to the site in fear of seeing this or something else that might offend you. You may not f”find it appropriate for a CRAFT type blog.” but the author found it appropriate for their article. An aside from that I think it stands true to the definition of this blog:

Whip up:
To prepare quickly
To excite
To create
To incite
To build
To invent
To conceive
To push
To upset
To manufacture
To provoke

… Mission Accomplished with this one!

9 Ros February 25, 2008 at 2:14 am

I wonder if it’s possible to put the image behind a cut tag to save those who might be offended. I guess quite a lot of children read this blog too.

10 Jess February 25, 2008 at 3:07 am

I agree with Ros, my 5 y/o was standing next to me when this came up. I know that it is Alt month, but personally i find this offensive too and would have appreciated the option of not viewing. Your site is generally child friendly so i was suprised to see this in full site.

11 Jenny February 25, 2008 at 3:47 am

Too funny!

12 kayleen February 25, 2008 at 4:49 am

omg. that is fantastic. now i know exactly what i’ll be giving to our friends for xmas next year.

13 Mo February 25, 2008 at 5:03 am

Yeah, I agree a cut tag would be a good idea. I look at this site during breaks at work or with kids around sometimes and I’d rather have warning. I like the pattern, but I wouldn’t want to see it with the wrong company.

14 E February 25, 2008 at 5:10 am

Oh, come on, it’s just a part of the human body.

15 Emily February 25, 2008 at 5:11 am

I’m sure children wouldn’t even recognize it for what it was. What’s the big deal? :)

16 texcilla February 25, 2008 at 6:22 am

nice “softie”!!

17 Christina February 25, 2008 at 8:46 am

I agree with Emily and even if a child did see it, so what??, if they ask you just explain what it is in a way that’s age appropriate.. By being coy, embarrassed or prudish we send a message that there is something to be ashamed about in the human body.
Offensive? Please,… violence, injustice, war, crimes against humanity and nature…THESE are offensive, not this. This is just funny.
Well done for having the balls to show this… hee hee :)

18 Thien-Kim February 25, 2008 at 9:06 am

Wow! That’s great. I don’t think this is offensive at all. Human bodies are beautiful.

19 DanielleB February 25, 2008 at 10:43 am

I’m offended that it’s circumcised.

20 Shannon February 25, 2008 at 10:58 am

hee hee…At first I’m scolling down and have a quick glimp of which I thought oh a hand held scrubber! Seriously I thought the ends were made from the scrubby material that we use to scrub our pots and pans:)

Anyway…this is great and thanks for sharing.

21 lillysam February 25, 2008 at 12:07 pm

I thought it was a hoot! My husband looked over when he heard me laughing, and he teehee-ed when he saw it too. I am in awe of those who’s mastery of the craft allows them to create ANYTHING! ps–Boobs have been the brunt of humor and art for far longer than male genitalia.

22 Sarah February 25, 2008 at 1:12 pm

Hilarious! I love the fuzzy yarn. A cut tag would be nice tho, especially as the pattern it’s knitted from and that you’ve linked to is marked as NSFW on AntiCraft’s website. Amusing as it is, I wouldn’t want to have this come up on my computer at work!

23 hilda February 25, 2008 at 10:42 pm

Wow, I guess I am the only one left that believes in discretion on a family friendly craft blog. Discretion: the good judgment and sensitivity needed to avoid embarrassing others

24 Mo February 26, 2008 at 8:16 am

Look y’all, I agree human body parts are great. What I’m trying to say is, lots of people surf the internet during their breaks at work (I know I’m not the only one) and bosses aren’t so understanding. Many people (especially say if they are a crafty boy who people wanna pin for being gay/gender transgressive in the first place) have been fired for much less. I don’t think it shouldn’t be on the site. I think there should be a cut tag. Additionally, I really love the fuzz addition on this version.

25 Tabitha February 27, 2008 at 4:34 am

The somewhat hairy, yet sparkly, balls are what make me crack up every time I think about them. That piece is so tacky that it’s wonderful!

26 Donna February 27, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Too funny, though I do agree that the picture should be “hidden” somehow with a warning about the picture contents being for mature viewers only. Does not offend me, but am happy my coworkers have a sense of humor.
I do like the creative use of yarns. I may have to make this one…..lol

27 Stacey February 27, 2008 at 8:08 pm

I was a little surprised/disappointed to see this on here as well, as I regularly check for children’s crafts here with my 6 yr old son … He has seen nude art etc. before so no big deal, but despite what some of you believe, parents do have a right to censor what their children see if they so choose,and I think a website that had a month of childrens’ crafts before alt craft month should have taken that into consideration, would it have been that difficult to do a warning or have to click to see. But I was particularly surprised to see this in light of the “lecture” given for the “harsh” comments on a post Week’s made sometime ago and how comments would be censored weeding out the negativity/offensive. So I guess comments will be checked but it is free reign as far a photos go — good to know.

28 therese February 28, 2008 at 6:06 am

I’m offended that it’s white. Uhm, pink.

29 Dean February 28, 2008 at 9:53 am

Funny. Would one expect shrinkage with this after washing….or on a cold day?

30 dean February 29, 2008 at 12:10 am

When it is washed or gets cold, where there be shrinkage?

31 Kathreen February 29, 2008 at 3:47 am

the only censoring of comments are those that are ‘rude’ or ‘mean’.

32 Stanly December 20, 2011 at 9:22 am