tutorial: fabric ornament

by contributor on 08/12/2008

in Holidays, Whip Up Tutorials

I swear I saw this made somewhere online! But I have searched high and low and can’t seem to find a tutorial anywhere. So here is my version [using Heather Bailey fabric], it’s a great way to use up all those fabric scraps. If you use the type of foam ball i used it will give you a more sewn look as the foam will collapse a little on the seams. If you use a white styrofoam ball it will be a little more flat. Have fun!

About the designer: Jody is a mom, crafter, fabric shop owner and blogger. She loves to inspire others to get creative, and posts daily on her blog everyday beautiful.

Start with any size foam ball and mark sections with a sharpie. Then cut into those lines with a utility knife.

Cut fabric strips about 1/2 inch wider and longer than your foam sections and taper them off at top and bottom.

Press fabric into lines with BACK of utility blade [or use a butter knife - if children are helping]. And repeat with each section.

Tie twine or ribbon to a floral pin and press into top of ornament!

Tie ribbon to twine to finish off ornament!

1 Emma December 8, 2008 at 8:45 pm

Your ornament is lovely, these are such a great idea!

There is a tutorial on Craftster for these – perhaps that’s where you saw them?

I found the tutorial after seeing them on Meshell’s blog (she has since stopped blogging) but the ones she made are on her flickr here:

And these are the ones I made:

2 Casey December 9, 2008 at 1:20 pm

Wow I love this I am gonna get together with the girls and have an ornament crafting party!

3 Huck August 8, 2009 at 7:08 pm

This is a way cool Tut Thanks so much for sharing. I use to love the fabric ornies gram use to make Will be fin to add to the list of things to make this year for our tree and gifts

4 Jana September 12, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Hey I thought you would like to know I featured this little craft on my craft blog. I really enjoyed this project a lot, thanks for sharing!
Jana

5 Staci December 2, 2010 at 1:40 pm

These are so cute! And what a great way to use up some scraps. I’m including these in my Friday Favorites this week!

6 Kelley November 9, 2011 at 10:05 am

You don’t need to glue on the fabric? It will stay on its own?

7 Suki December 5, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Instead of using the back of a knife you can use a metal emory board with a point. It’s great because you don’t need glue. They last years!

8 Susan December 7, 2011 at 10:50 am

So where do you find the soft foamy balls? I’ve seen the harder styrofoam balls but I don’t think I’ve seen soft foam balls in the craft stores.

9 kath_red December 7, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I found mine at $2 store -

10 jackie December 9, 2011 at 1:43 am

These remind me of orange slices. : )

11 mrsniceantonio December 9, 2011 at 3:35 pm

exactly what type of foam balls did you use? is there a name? type of material? would like to make this for my tree this year. =) so cute! =)

12 kath_red December 10, 2011 at 1:14 am

ask at your craft store / or google ‘Styrofoam Balls’

13 Kali December 16, 2011 at 3:48 am

Totally adorable! You really can use just about any type of fabric you’d like. Great idea for the scrap pieces of fabric we all have laying around the house. You can really adjust the look by the design of the room with these too. Adding a simple button or pearl would look really nice too. Having different sizes around each other would look great too!

14 Sharon November 6, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Love how you updated this classic with trendy fabric. I can tell from the photo that the ball is STYROFOAM brand, which has the best grip. Thank you for the inspiration! Sharon

15 sue snyder December 3, 2012 at 12:07 am

I remember making these as a kid…in either grammar school or Girl Scouts, I don’t remember. The only thing I did differently was brush a layer of white glue onto the styrofoam ball and into the grooves before applying the fabric, and also before adding the twine hanging loop. The glue made the overall project more durable.

16 Jayne L. Wells December 17, 2012 at 2:43 am

I’ve made these for years!
I have none on the tree because I always give them away. ~ I like this quick and easy way these are made with larger pieces of fabric and uniform lines.
I generally make smaller non-consistent ‘spots’ of fabric all over the ball as I fit them together. Then between the indents I add yarn! I think would add the yarn to this one also.
As Suki recommends above, I’ve always used metal emory board. Since I put yarn between the indents, I don’t put glue on the ball except in a pin to hold the yarn loop.

17 JAngel April 6, 2013 at 10:12 am

I can’t find the balls used to make this ornament. Anybody have a specific name and/or website?
Thank you.

18 kath_red April 6, 2013 at 9:12 pm

Styrofoam from a cheap craft store.