wristlet tutorial

by Admin on 16/01/2009

in Sewing+Fabric, Whip Up Tutorials

This is the first sewing tutorial I’ve ever written. I almost gave up several times!

About the author: Joy is a work at home database programming Mom (with a capital M of course), of a 6 year old daughter. She hadn’t sewn for over 20 years and doesn’t know how she did without it – she blogs at 100 spools of thread

Supplies:
Outside Fabric good quality cotton fabric: 1 piece 9″x12″, 1 piece 9″x18″, 1 piece 7″x8 1/2″, 1 piece 2″x14″, 1 piece 3/4″x5″
Lining (cotton broadcloth) – 1 piece 9″x12″
Interfacing (Fusible Fleece) 1 piece 9″x12″ and 1 piece 7″x4 1/4″
1 Button (here used 9/16″ mother of pearl with a metal shank)

First fuse the interfacing:

Following the manufacturers instructions, fuse the 9″x12″ interfacing to the 9″x12″ outside piece. Fold the 7″x8 1/2″ patch pocket piece in half (right sides out) so that it measures
7″x4 1/4″ and fuse the 7″x4 1/4″ interfacing sandwiched in the fold of the patch pocket piece.

Next make the patch pocket piece:

The patch pocket piece is now 7″x4 1/4″, with a layer of interfacing inside the fold. There’s a fold side, and three open sides, two short and one long.

Unfold the patch pocket piece and refold so that the right sides are together and the interfacing is clearly visible fused to one side.

Sew the patch pocket piece on two open sides (one short side and one long side), with right sides together using a 1/4″ seam allowance. Turn right side out again through the un-sewn short side and top stitch the top fold edge. This keeps the interfacing from moving. Press flat.

With the outside piece face down on the table (the fused interfacing is clearly visible), measure up 4 1/2″ from the bottom. Fold along this line and pin. This will help determine the pocket piece placement.

Place the BOTTOM (non-fold side) of the pocket piece 1/2″ from the fold line, making sure the top of the pocket piece is about 3/8″ from the top (see the picture as all this top and bottom stuff is confusing). Pin, unpin the outside piece from itself, and topstitch the 3 non-fold sides of the patch pocket piece, turning the unseamed short side in as you go.

Make the credit card piece:

Fold 1/2″ to the back of the 9″x18″ piece and press. Next we are going to fan fold the fabric to allow for 3 credit card pockets. With the fabric face up, measure 2 1/2″ from the top where the 1/2″ fold is and fold the fabric face up on itself (press as you go), then fold the fabric back down 2″, up 2 1/2″, down 2″, up 2 1/2″ down 2″. at that point fold the rest of the fabric under at least 1/2″. Press well.

Place your credit card piece on the right side of the lining 3″ from the top and pin well. Stitch a middle line to divide the credit card pocket into two equal halves. Top stitch the top and bottom of the credit card piece. Baste the sides at the seamline.

Round the Flap: Pin the outside with the pocket to the lining, wrong sides together. Then, trim of the corners off the flap (the short edge that does not have the pocket on it). I usually eyeball it but I’ve used plates and pans too. Make sure not to take too much off the top since the flap will need to comfortably fold down over the patch pocket.

Make the strap and button loop:
Fold the 2” wide strap piece and the 3/4″ wide button loop piece in half lengthwise and then tuck the edges under to make a double fold binding-like wristlet strap and button loop. Topstitch each 1/8″ away from the edge.

Topstitch the strap (now 1/2″ wide) 1/8″ away from the fold edge as well. Zigzag the ends of the strap together to make a loop and turn so the zigzagged edge is inside the loop.

There are now 2 main pieces:
The lining with the credit card pockets near the top of the purse, and the outside piece with the interfacing on the back side and the patch pocket on the right side. With right sides facing, pin the outside piece to the lining. The patch pocket and the credit card pocket should be inside and the interfacing and lining wrong side will be outside.

Fold the button loop in half. Insert the loop inside, between the front of the lining and the front of the outside fabric (in there where the pockets are). 1 to 1 1/2″ of the loop should be inside the seamline. Trim off the edges even with the fabric edges, and pin and baste.

Sew around the edges, making sure to leave an open area for turning. Turn, press flat, and topstitch across the top of the credit card pocket to keep it in place. Topstitch close to the edge around all sides (folding in your open area as you go) and again about 1/4″ from the edge on just the flap area. Be sure to double stitch the button loop once or twice. The button loop should protrude from the flap about 1 to 1 1/2″.

With the stitched inside/outside piece flat on the table, outside down (you can see the lining and credit card pockets), fold the bottom part up like an envelope until the pocket piece can be fully seen and the credit card piece is fully covered. It will look like an open envelop with the flap still up. Pin the sides together, insides still inside. Add the strap to the right side seam (pinch the edge of the strap with the zigzag turned in and insert into the sideseam near the top) and pin. Now, topstitch both sides as close to the edge as possible. Fold down the flap to determine button placement and sew on.

1 Stephanie January 16, 2009 at 10:03 pm

I love it! I might even be attempted to try this one out!

2 Tiff@ThreePeas January 17, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Sounds easy enough! Can’t wait to try this!

3 Green Craft January 26, 2009 at 6:39 pm

It’s so cute! I’m glad you didn’t give up :)

4 Monica March 16, 2009 at 4:20 am

Great job on the tutorial! They’re not easy to write, are they? Can’t wait to make one of my own wristlets. You should sell these on Etsy!

5 jg June 23, 2009 at 6:14 am

Stumbled upon this tutorial, nice one, i want to try this. =)

6 Leann September 6, 2009 at 10:06 pm

I’m in the middle of doing this cute wristlet but I’m stuck on the part where you are to place the “bottom (non-fold side) of the pocket piece 1/2″ from the fold line, making sure the top of the pocket piece is about 3/8″ from the top.” The picture doesn’t get any larger when I click on it and it’s hard for me to see the detail. For some reason, I don’t have enough room for 3/8″ from the top. It is lining up exactly. Maybe I didn’t make my seam allowance big enough (my sewing machine doesn’t give the measurements, just the lines so I have to guess). Anyway, I’m a newbie so maybe it’s just because I’ve only been sewing for a few months. I’m just having trouble visualizing what is supposed to be done with the pocket.

7 Bonnie Spielman October 24, 2012 at 4:02 am

You should purchase a seam guage. they are usually about 5″ long and have a movable indicator . These are invaluable. They usually only cost about a buck. I mark with tape or a magic marker 1/2, 5/8′” seam allowances on the machine so I can tell at a glance what I need to use. I have a lot of marks on my machines for measurements I use often such as a mark to indicate where I need to sew a seam on a purse corner to square up the bottom. It saves alot of time. Just some ideas to help you out

8 Gretchen December 26, 2010 at 1:21 am

Well, I tried it. It was my first project on my new sewing machine. I was a little confused by some of the instructions, but I was able to do it. I’m only a beginner, so the finishes aren’t that good, but maybe I’ll try it again when I have more experience and fabric that I didn’t get from a shirt.

9 B.L.P. May 17, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Great little clutch, and great job on the tutorial!

10 Lynda May 24, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Hi Joy,
I am having difficulty with a step in this tutorial (Wristlet). A the paragraph starting with “with the outside piece face down on the table….” What piece are you talking about?

Thx,

Lynda

11 Dawn July 10, 2012 at 10:57 am

This is so sweet Thank You I am off to my sewing room !!!

12 Mary Calder September 8, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Cute pattern. Not bad at all for a first tutorial. It should get easier with practice and do pay atention to any complaints so you can make it clearer and better next time. As a teacher I often found students questions were the best feedback on how clear I was making my subject. Great job on the wristlet. It is darling. When I finish a current project I may make one for a new grand-daughter-in-law. Good enough to be well worth a next time.

13 linda June 27, 2013 at 5:41 pm

I would so definitely make this for my daughter. Its perfect.

14 Jo July 11, 2013 at 12:21 am

This is a really cute and handy little wristlet. It goes together pretty easily. Thanks for the tutorial!

15 Jo Logan September 1, 2013 at 5:30 pm

This is my favorite wristlet. I use it all the time. I love that my cell phone fits in the pocket and everything that I need fits inside neatly. I had to come back and get the instructions again so that I could make one for my niece. Thank you so much!!