how-to: make an origami Koi

by craftapalooza on August 5, 2009

in Paper+Mixed Media

Stunning! If you give this one a try please leave a link, love to see it! Link.

1 Karwee August 6, 2009 at 12:00 am

This is hands down the most beautiful tutorial I have seen on Whip Up. I love the stop motion video!

2 mocha August 8, 2009 at 1:02 pm

this is really hard. I tried it and couldnt get it to turn out!

3 gazala January 26, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Your Koi is amazing!!! I had a go and managed to make one but i was struggling
a little with the fins because i never have enough paper!! Please could you tell me the exact measurements of the paper you are using. This would really be helpful for me,
i appreciate your help.

4 gazala July 22, 2011 at 4:07 pm

please show me how to make this koi!

5 Kristin February 17, 2011 at 1:26 am

I tried this, and came pretty close to having a fish at the end. I made it until there were 37 seconds left in the video. But the last few tiny folds (to make the belly taper down into the tail) went by too fast. I tried to improvise… The result looks like a cylinder with fins. I would love a more detailed, slow-motion video of the last few steps.

For my first try, i used a 2″ square piece of paper–way too small! Moved up to 5″ square, which was MUCH easier to work with.

6 gazala July 22, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Do you have a video turtorial so that i can make this fish?

7 Dreaming Tree February 4, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I tried in vain to fold it correctly. I used a piece of square paper about 8″ in size. I did okay until the double inset triangles were to be done…After that point, I couldn’t get the folds flat and the paper crushed. “Now I am a very patient person, but the backward folds to get the bottom half of the fins to lay flat, was near impossible…I ended up tearing the paper!” It was all downhill from there. The tail fins was another issue…I ended up tearing those as well. Once brought together it was a sad mess. *scowls* I was really hoping to get this right and make more…I guess I need clearer instructions than this.

8 JPP May 25, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Are there any diagrams of the folding instructions? I cannot seem to figure out by the video exactly where certain folds are. The video is grey on grey and hard to follow. I love the model and wish to recreate it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

{ 1 trackback }