guide to reading japanese crochet + knitting patterns

by kath_red on 19/08/2009

in Resources

So you have thought about buying or have already bought a super cute Japanese knitting or crochet pattern book. What now? unless you can figure out a pattern by just looking at it you might be wondering how on earth you are going to read the patterns in your new wonderful book.

japnese knitting crochet book

Guide to Reading Japanese Patterns + how to read Japanese crochet patterns + How to Read Japanese Graphical Knitting Charts + translating Japanese knitting patterns + Japanese knitting symbols + download instructional pdf from tata tatao and the basics of Japanese knitting here +

[further links available via here and here and here]

1 Tammy August 23, 2009 at 11:53 pm

Thank you for these great links!

2 aruma February 23, 2010 at 9:11 pm

i can try,,,

3 Mayra June 13, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Thank you for the links. I’ve been looking for help as I downloaded a book of Hello Kitty patterns that are all in japanese. This will be a tremendous help. Hopefully I will be able to make something.

4 Jocelyn October 6, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I was wondering if you could tell me where you downloaded that hello kitty book? :)

5 Elaine July 16, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Thanks so much for this site! Got a couple of really nice Jap crochet books but can’t speak much less read Japanese! The diagrams help but need to know the numbers and some instructions as well. Great site!

6 Nette Amores January 11, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I would like to know where I can get help in translating the instructions on top of the pages of these japanese crochet projects like the size of the needle to use, what type of thread, finished size of the project, gauge, etc. I have bought so many Japanese books and frustrated I couldn’t read this part but I can follow the diagram because I was taught by my mom when I was 12 years old I thingk because the crochet books then were all Japanese.

7 Nette Amores January 11, 2013 at 3:05 pm

8 kath_red January 13, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Try using google translate!