knit for baby

by kath_red on 02/08/2010

in Whip-Up

So you are expecting a baby or know someone who is – here is a collection of baby sweater patterns that I think are lovely and you might want to get out your needles for. The lovely thing about knitting for babies/toddlers is that it doesn’t take very long to finish – such tiny things that knit up quickly.

Classic pullover sweaters

Latte Baby Sweater by Liselotte Weller [see image above] (pattern in danish – use google translate)
Rudyard baby sweater by Malin Nilsson
Pisara-pusero by Kristel Nyberg (pattern in Finnish)
Organic guernsey
Child’s Placket-Neck Pullover by Joelle Hoverson (ravelry download)
Childhood remake sweater by Anna & Heidi Pickles
Cirrus by Katie Hanrott
Double Scoop by Gail Pfeifle
Hug Me Pullover by Debbie Stoller
Boys Can Wear Pink by Kate Oates

Vests

Vintage newborn vest [above image by Kai on ravelry]
Double breasted baby vest
Summer vest by Pickles
Vesterday by Elinor Brown
Playground Shirt (Unisex) by Anadiomena
toddler t-shirt vest by sam lamb (and the baby version)
Baby professor vest
Owl Baby Vest by Jodi Haraldson (ravelry download)
Nipper Baby Vest by Wendy Poush
Baby Vest Garter Ridges by Suzetta Williams WW Vest by Kimberly Turnbow
Pembroke Vest by Kirsten Kapur
Autumn leaves vest by Anna & Heidi Pickles

Kimono style

Garter Stitch Baby Kimono by Joji Locatelli (ravelry download) [image above]
Offset Wraplan by Sara Morris (ravelry download)
Baby Sachiko Kimono Sweater by Erika Flory (ravelry link)
Nature Baby Kimono by Lionbrand (need free membership to view)
Clementine’s Baby Kimono by Diana Jones (ravelry link) (or scroll down the sidebar for the pattern on Clementine blog)
Kalari Baby Jacket by Kim Guzman
Bulky Seamless Baby Kimono by Jacki Kelly
Origami Baby Kimono by Bonnie Franz (part of the Part of the free 7-pattern baby ebook at knitting daily)

Jackets and cardigans

Soft N Seamless Baby Sweater by Lynda Ward (ravelry link) [image by quirky knitter on ravelry]
Classic vintage pattern to make a cardigan/sweater
ribbed baby jacket by Debbie Bliss
Baby sophisticate cardigan will a roll collar
Garter yoke baby cardigan by Jennifer Hoel
Seed Stitch Baby Jacket by Elinor Brown
Vintage pattern for a One Skein Hooded Baby Sweater
Baby Bunting Sweater by Linden Heflin
Mossy Jacket by Fawn Pea
Little Coffee Bean Cardigan by Elizabeth Smith
Cardigan for Merry adapted by annypurls
Snug by Hinke (ravelry download)
Lilla koftan by Petra Orrbeck (pattern in Swedish)

1 CraftyCripple August 2, 2010 at 7:18 am

Thank you so much! I have FIVE pregnant friends. If anyone
needed this list it was me.

2 Maya August 2, 2010 at 11:05 am

Oh my! What a fabulous collection of patterns!
Thank you for sharing! I have already selected a few to make for the upcoming winter.

3 holly August 2, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Thank you for the wonderful collection of patterns! I’ve made several of these and loved them, and I can’t wait to try the rest.

4 CitricSugar August 2, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Perfect! My sister is expecting in January. And now instead of tracking down patterns, I can get to the fun part – thanks!

5 Holly August 4, 2010 at 10:33 am

so many sweet sweet projects… now if only I actually knew how to knit…

6 Elizabeth Read August 10, 2010 at 3:21 am

Hello Holly! Where do you live? Perhaps I could teach you to knit? Then join in our Tuesday night S&B get together (stitch&bitch – we like the rhyme but don’t often speak the words).
I have knitted all my life and truly love it! Hope to hear from you soon.
Regards – Elizabeth

7 Eileen October 18, 2011 at 4:23 am

Hi, lovely patterns, i really would like to knit the Lilla koftan, but i don’ speak swedish. Can anyone help. Many thanks

8 Julia January 24, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Hello!
Your site has some wonderful things. I have been trying to find the pattern for the Debbie Bliss Ribbed Baby Jacket. I think that it was on the All About You site, but it is gone now and I can’t find the pattern. Any ideas?
Thank you so much. Again, your work is lovely.
Merci!
Julia

9 kath_red January 25, 2012 at 12:51 am

I am not sure why this pattern is no longer available online – she has a similar baby jacket in this book http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-reefer-jacket

However here are some other options:
And if you are a machine knitter – here it is converted to machine knitting pattern http://marzipanknits.blogspot.com/2011/05/debbie-bliss-ribbed-baby-jacket.html
Similar baby jackets available online:

Good luck