2010 guest blogger series: Disney with shoe refashioning

by Admin on 16/09/2010

in Guest Series 2010, Whip Up Tutorials

September/October brings change of season, and fresh starts and frivolity and seriousness too. So for a break from whipup realtime I am introducing a few weeks of guest bloggers to liven up your crafty experience. To bring you something fresh, and hopefully invigorate you to make and do and be and think! Its going to be a fun few weeks so come along for the ride.

I want to introduce you to Disney, whose blog www.RufflesandStuff.com I discovered through all her fabulous refashioning experiments. Disney is a wife and mother, who loves all types of crafting and creativity. She has been sewing since she was a little girl, and now enjoys making excessively girly things for her own daughter. She has an archive of many of her crafts and tutorials at: www.RufflesandStuff.com

Hello everyone!
I am so honored to be invited over to Whip Up to guest post today. I’ve been enjoying working on some shoe refashions lately and I thought I would share them with you. Refashioning shoes is something I’ve wanted to try for long time, but I wanted to be sure that the end result was elegant, with a look of quality. And of course, be able to hold up to a few kicks! My daughter and I have both kick-tested these, and we’re very satisfied with our newer, fancier footwear.

The supplies that you’ll need for this project are:

• Shoes to refashion
  • Extra fabric/material to add to your shoes
  • A leather needle ($2 for a pack of assorted needles at a discount store)
  • A thimble
  • Matching thread (heavy duty thread if you have it)
  • Use your imagination to find scraps of material for your project. Look for leather, vinyl, and other heavy-duty, water-resistant types of materials: an old handbag, a pair of shoes that aren’t wearable anymore, your husband’s retired wallet, the world is full of outcast items that are just waiting to adorn your feet. For my projects, I used a vinyl cosmetic case, and an old suede clog. You may want to test your fabric out before you commit to using it, by poking the needle through to see how easily it penetrates. (Wish I’d done that with my clog, which was a little difficult to work with. Then maybe I would be able to feel my fingers….)

Once you’ve selected your material, you can choose your design. Look at shoe stores online for inspiration. Love those little polka-dotted Pediped boots you see everywhere? Make some of your own. Or cut out some flower or leaf shapes. Today I’m going to share my own versions, with ruffles and rosebuds!

To make the double-ruffled shoe that I’m wearing:

1. Use a seam ripper to remove any unwanted accents on your shoe.
    2. Cut out one 3/4″x6.5″ strip, and one 1.5″x6.5″ strip of vinyl for each shoe.
    3. Quadruple your thread to make it nice and sturdy, tying a knot at one end. If you happen to have a heavy-duty thread (such as linen thread), that would be great to use too.
    4. Using approx. 1/4″ stitches, stitch across the top of your strip, pulling slowly, but firmly, pushing the material downward, to creating gathering.
    5. Once you’ve gathered to your satisfaction and length, knot your threads to secure. Repeat for each strip.
    6. Set the narrow strip on top of the wider strip, place them on your shoe, and stitch on. Don’t forget to use your thimble to push the needle through!
    7. Finish by rounding off the corners of your vinyl strips with scissors, if desired.

To make the rosebud shoe that Paige is wearing:

1. Use a seam ripper to remove any unwanted accents on your shoe.
    2. Cut a .5″x6.5″ strip, in a slightly curved shape for each shoe.
    3. Quadrupling your thread (or using heavy duty thread), stitch along the top, from one end to the other.
    4. Pull slowly, but firmly to gather your strip as much as it will gather.
    5. Roll into a rosebud shape, and stitch onto your shoe.

Be sure that you stitch thoroughly! Your decorations should be nice and secure. And as much as I’d love to tell you that you can just use super-glue for this project, I tried it and it didn’t work. (So next time you are at the craft store, ask for a leather needle! They’re inexpensive, and they work just like a regular sewing needle. And there are so many things you can make with them!

Lastly-don’t automatically throw away the accents you remove from your shoes! I used the bows that my shoes originally had to make hair clips for my daughter. And that you can use super glue for.

Thank you so much, Kathreen, for having me over today. It was such a pleasure!
    And have a great day, everyone!!
    Love,
    Disney

1 Carol September 16, 2010 at 9:14 am

Wow, the shoes turned out great, a nice update!
    Sooo, good to see you back Disney!!!!

2 Renanda September 16, 2010 at 9:18 am

I ♥ your tutorial Disney! I am also happy to see all is well in your world!

3 christi September 16, 2010 at 10:08 am

Very cute!

4 Bianca September 16, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Those turned out really great! Glad you see you pop in right quick, Disney! I was so excited to see your name in my news feed! :) Thank you Whip Up for having a guest blogger.

5 Kristen September 16, 2010 at 12:30 pm

I love them!!!!!

6 Hannah Stevenson September 16, 2010 at 2:53 pm

Hooray for Disney!!! It’s so great to see your beautiful work again. Love both of these ideas. THANKS!!!

7 Veronica September 16, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Great!!! I love it!!! what a beutiful work and tutorial!!! thanks for the inspiration

8 Crystal September 16, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Disney. Your shoes are beautiful. I am so glad to see you back!! We have missed you so!

9 Christie September 17, 2010 at 3:21 am

Yea Disney! How exciting to have a tutorial from you again. Beautiful, as always! We’ve missed you so much! It’s nice to see your shining style again.

10 Natalie September 17, 2010 at 4:25 am

Yay it is so wonderful to see you Disney!! These shoes are amazing! What a fun and unique idea.

11 Emma September 22, 2010 at 12:50 am

Lovely surprise to see a fab new tutorial from you Disney. Thank you.

12 Sewing Princess September 22, 2010 at 4:53 am

Thanks for posting this nice tutorial. Glad to see you back. Take it easy and just post from time to time…it’s excellent

13 Trish September 22, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Thank you so much for having Disney as a guest blogger! I’ve been waiting and hoping for her return! Those shoes are awesome, Disney!

14 Jenni September 30, 2010 at 6:08 pm

So cute. I wonder if you could bypass the challenging part of stitching the ruffles on the shoes, and providing variety, by making these ruffles into shoe clips that slid on somehow. . .

15 Crista October 5, 2010 at 8:00 am

Oh, you’ve inspired me again Disney, right down to the fishnets. Nice to see you back for a guest design spot!!

16 Marce October 10, 2010 at 3:37 am

Welcome back disney! Im so gñad you are “online” again,I added your old blog and was a very nice surprise you got a new post. You got very nice ideas to share with us, and inspires us to be creative too. God had plans, and he always finish all he started… keep your mind wide open.
    Anyway, is nice see you and your work here…

17 morgan October 15, 2010 at 2:22 am

You have some awesome ideas! Thanks for not being stingy and showing others your talents and ideas! This is the first time i’ve seen your work or this site!!!! Keep up te crafty work;)

18 Lorraine October 24, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Sure do miss logging in every evening after work and you not being there, I do understand things happen. I hope you and your family are fine and doing well, miss you but look forward to seeing some of your work from time to time.

19 abigail March 24, 2011 at 11:41 am

I am SO thrilled about this- I have a pair of Born shoes I bought on sale a few years ago and was so annoyed because after a few wears, the decorative flower kept on inverting itself so all you could see was the underside of the leather- which looked pretty stupid. I can’t wait to get some cool buttons and try out a leather needle (i never heard of such a thing!). Thank you!

20 Kisha February 18, 2012 at 10:25 pm

That a great idea..*goes up to attic to dig up a pair of not quite right shoes*
    thanks!