2010 guest blogger series: Laura wilson making a firewood tote

by contributor on 19/09/2010

in Guest Series 2010, Whip Up Tutorials

September/October brings change of season, and fresh starts and frivolity and seriousness too. So for a break from whipup realtime I am introducing a few weeks of guest bloggers to liven up your crafty experience. To bring you something fresh, and hopefully invigorate you to make and do and be and think! Its going to be a fun few weeks so come along for the ride.

Today I want to introduce you to Laura Wilson from We Wilsons. Laura Wilson is a DIY-er who lives in rural TN, USA with her husband and two little girls. She designs sewing patterns, coloring books, and blogs at We Wilsons. The Wilsons plan to move in to their cordwood home in the fall of 2011. I first came across Laura and her blog through all the cool child-centred natural ethos tutorials that she features.

This year, my husband John and I are beginning to build our own cordwood home, and people often ask us why. The answer? For the same reason you feel cozier in a handmade sweater. Or the way your cloth market bag makes you feel more responsible. Or how you feel like a really awesome parent when you give your baby a doll you stitched yourself. Because a handmade home, made from sustainable materials will feel just like that: beautiful, personal, responsible, practical, and intentional.

So, John has spent the last month harvesting trees from our land that we’ll use to build our house next year. I wanted to help out, and since I can’t resist sewing something, I made this firewood tote to help move all the logs to the house site. This firewood tote sews up super fast, and will make carrying wood to your fireplace – or building a house – just a bit easier.

Download the 1 page pdf here.

1 Anna September 21, 2010 at 9:50 am

This is so great! We use a wood burning stove, and we are building our own house as well. We decided to use what we have on hand instead of straw or cordwood. This carrier will be awesome, I’m thinking my husband can use a few of these to haul the trees for our house around. Maybe not, anyway he’ll be surprised to see this when he comes home today!

2 cate November 18, 2010 at 6:17 am

thankyou! i’ve seen these for sale in England at over £50, which made them very unafordable! we try to live sustainably and as my other half is a forester we run an open fire. this will help him, give me something to make for him and also stop him dropping logs on the kitchen floor!

3 Andie November 18, 2010 at 9:09 am

I’m totally making this for the in-laws! What a great gift and so awesome that you shared this pattern with us!

4 Fishtail Designs/Julie November 18, 2010 at 11:45 am

I saw this link on Sew, Mama, Sew & got so excited!! Thank you for the instructions. I’m going to make this for my dad, grandpa & uncle!!!

Love it! :)

5 Becky November 18, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Thank you so much for sharing. We just build a fire pit and this will help us gather dead wood from the woods around our home.

6 Kathleen November 28, 2010 at 12:57 am

Nice tote! I’m planning on making one from a chicken feed bag….
What really strikes me about your info though is: I live a simple life with my family (husband, 2 daughters)in rural TN in our cordwood home!

Let’s compare notes.

7 cate November 29, 2010 at 8:03 am

i’m posting again to say that I MADE THE FIREWOOD TOTE!! and it’s awesome! my other half will get it for xmas. i used an old pair of his jeans to ‘make’ the fabric as i couldnt find any canvas, so it’s a little shorter than you recomend, but its fine. thanks so much!!

8 Montana Emery November 25, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I am totally making my hubby one of these this year!!

9 Debi Roskam December 10, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Thank you Laura for sharing this fantastic idea. I made a few for xmas gifts. I also love to make gifts rather than purchase them. I refurbished gifts out of old items, give them a new life/purpose. It makes me feel so good about keeping useful things, like clothing, furniture, out of the landfills. I am looking forward to spending more time on your blog.
Thanks Again,