2010 guest blogger series: Crafting Through A Midlife Crisis

by contributor on September 21, 2010

in Guest Series 2010

September/October brings change of season, and fresh starts and frivolity and seriousness too. So for a break from whipup realtime I am introducing a few weeks of guest bloggers to liven up your crafty experience. To bring you something fresh, and hopefully invigorate you to make and do and be and think! Its going to be a fun few weeks so come along for the ride.

Today guest blogging at whipup is Tania from the wonderfully fresh and funny and beautifully handmade blog Myrtle and Eunice – you might remember Tania from her chickummyjig project which we published at Whipup a while ago. And that is how I first came across this fellow Aussie and very talented craft blogger. Tania is a mother of three, wife to one, designer (in midlife crisis) and craftster of the slightly obsessive kind. Myrtle and Eunice were two lovely old ladies who connected weekly over the Scrabble tiles. These Saturday battles of will and skill were a ritual as comfy as a hot chocolate and handknitted blanket on a frosty day.

Heading: Crafting Through A Midlife Crisis

I reckon I’m having one of those midlife crisis whatsits. Not the kind, mind, solved by the newly-purchased red Corvette, last seen in a cloud of dust, heading for the sunset. More the kind prompted by a peek above the parapet that is sleep-deprived parenting and toddler negotiation – and recognising the veritable World of Possibility out there. With more time on my hands, kids at school and soon kindergarten, there’s a lot of exciting, (terrifying), potential for reinvention.

I am a rabbit caught in headlights.

While I mull over the last fifteen years, since graduating from University and all the career stuff that happened since then, I find myself struggling with PRECISELY the same sort of issues as I did at seventeen. Only with wrinkles. And a dodgy knee. And the possibilities are so vast: lighthouse keeper? airline pilot? podiatrist? Maybe not podiatrist.

Thank ye Gods for craft. I’m up to the eyeballs in simultaneous projects that answer any crafty urge; soothe every corner of the bewildered soul. The Mr has a theory that it’s all pure, head in the sand escapism and damn it, he’s right.

I also have my own theory. While I’m diving in, giving stuff a whirl I know nothing about, finding the mischief, embracing the quirk, discovering the wonk, enjoying the happy accident, negotiating the 27 bazillion, evil, yet-to-be-woven-in ends of a granny blanket… While I’m learning how to quilt a bit…

Yarnbombing school trees with crocheted caterpillars…

While I’m making ‘normal’ stuff like simple sewn clothes or knitted jumpers for the kids and also taking pity on chilly-looking rocks…

While I’m taking great pleasure in the french knotting of a dead fly…

While I’m doing all this, I’m thinking. It’s quiet contemplation of the background kind, puzzling stuff over, inside out, therapeutically pondering.

Working out what I’m going to be when I grow up.

1 sooz September 21, 2010 at 11:45 pm

Well god then, let’s hope you never grow up!

2 Claudia September 22, 2010 at 12:59 am

Amen, sister!
I just realized the same: still interested in the same things as in high school (but with less time on my hands), and crafting my way through mid-life crisis… crafting helps us staying sane (at least what we consider as sane :oD )

3 Haley September 22, 2010 at 9:01 am

What a great post! I’m going through the same sort of thing these days. With both kids in school full time I find myself wandering around the house with bits of thread and felt clinging to me wondering what it is I should do now that I’m…a “grown up” :) Meh, crafting’s probably the best bet!

4 Catherine September 22, 2010 at 9:06 am

Is the Tattoo Craft Heart piece yours? Lovely.

5 Paige September 22, 2010 at 9:45 am

Oh, how I loved this, especially since I feel much the same way; I spend my days pondering and crafting, too, while the kids are at school. New territory, indeed!

6 Sandy September 22, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I’m past the age for a mid-life crisis, but still enjoy “embracing the quirk; discovering the wonk”!

7 apeppermintpenguin September 23, 2010 at 3:27 am

You are just the best Tania. THE best. Whatever you do will be just perfect, perfectly wonky, perfectly obsessive, perfectly mad, perfectly Myrtle&Eunice.

8 --ginger. September 24, 2010 at 10:18 am

This is how I work out my head too–and so lovely to hear how M&E does it. I’ll send you one of my 3 children in exchange for that quilt.

9 anne September 25, 2010 at 1:35 pm

When you figure it out, let me know. I have no idea what to be when I grow up. (I’m 45.)

10 Hours in the day October 8, 2010 at 6:08 am

Thank god I’m not alone!

11 Kristine October 23, 2010 at 6:32 pm

I definitely have the dodgy joints and middle aged spread and am still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. What a wonderful way to contemplate it all while crafting. Love your creations, especially the lacy coats for the rocks. So beautiful!

12 di October 24, 2010 at 5:40 am

As I knock on the door of forty I like to remind myself that my mum didn’t start her career until she was forty. It suggests there’s still plenty of time to take up new pursuits and explore them in depth before we’re past our best.