2010 guest blogger series: cool weather refashion with Cheri

by contributor on October 12, 2010

in Guest Series 2010, Whip Up Tutorials

September/October brings change of season, and fresh starts and frivolity and seriousness too. So for a break from whipup realtime I am introducing a few weeks of guest bloggers to liven up your crafty experience. To bring you something fresh, and hopefully invigorate you to make and do and be and think! Its going to be a fun few weeks so come along for the ride.

Today I want to welcome Cheri from I Am Momma – Hear Me Roar, I love this blog – its organised and creative – featuring lots of boy related crafts, refashioning and tutorials – I love these upcycled boys hats that I featured recently on whipup.

I’m Cheri from I Am Momma – Hear Me Roar. I’m excited to be here today because thie site rocks! There are always oodles and oodles of great links and ideas. I wanted to share something for the upcoming cooler weather. I love all the gorgeous hand-knit scarflettes and cowls I’ve seen around, but I have one problem. I don’t know how to knit. Yeah, that’s a bummer. It’s on the to do list.

I do, however, love to sew and I do have garbage bags full of clothing waiting to be upcycled or refashioned. So today I’m going to show you how to make this scarflette from an old sweater. Here we go!

I took this long sweater and cut out a long rectangle. (My dimensions were about 8 inches by 29 inches.) I flipped the nice finished sides together and sewed around the edges. I left the bottom end open (the one with the ribbed edge).

I inverted it and sewed on two large buttons. I didn’t make real buttonholes, since the scarflette can easily be pulled over my head. I also didn’t bother to sew the end shut, since the buttons keep it in place. Super easy, super cute, and super warm.

Thank you for having me Kathreen! All of you are welcome to drop in and visit my blog anytime. Thanks!

1 Trina Curran October 12, 2010 at 8:37 am

Oh, so cute…what a neat idea! I’m headed to the thrift shop to find some sweaters. :)

2 Georgia October 12, 2010 at 10:05 am

I’m sorry – did you KNOW I had just bought a sweater to do the same thing with? I just couldn’t figure out the best way to finish the edges. Problem solved! Thank you! Great post!!

3 Riechan October 12, 2010 at 11:04 am

Really cute! Now to find an old sweater ^^

4 Katrine October 12, 2010 at 11:07 am

You’re right, it is super cute!

5 Chantel S October 12, 2010 at 12:38 pm

Ahh, LOVE IT! I have seen several of this types of things in the stores for like 50+ bucks which I can’t spend, this is PERFECT! Super easy simple can do with my kids running a muck! LOVE IT! Thanks so much for sharing! Now I need to get over to Goodwill and find a sweater!

6 Belle Unruh October 12, 2010 at 2:52 pm

This is a great idea and super simple.

7 cyandron October 12, 2010 at 4:04 pm

LOVE this! I’ve wanted one of these since last year, but I just can’t bring myself to pay for one on Etsy. I know they work hard to make them, and the price is probably totally justified, but, what can I say, I guess I’m cheap…LOL. Anyway, this is perfect for me! Thanks Cheri!

P.S. I followed you over from your blog, I follow it religiously…

8 Flo October 12, 2010 at 4:06 pm

It’s so cute but I don’t understand how you stop the wool…
Sorry… So french my english… ;-)

9 Tomi Ann H October 12, 2010 at 4:33 pm

I love that!

10 Holly October 12, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Love! I plan on making a TON. I always loved this look but I don’t knit. I also have BAGS upon BAGS of items waiting for their turn….

11 rilojane October 12, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I’m having a heck of a time finding huge buttons like this! Any tips?

12 delia October 13, 2010 at 1:50 am

I la la LOVE this! Oh my. I want make one!

13 resortmom October 14, 2010 at 11:03 am

Love it…I think you could get 2 out of one sweater by just cutting straight across the top…using each side seam for one seam on each scarf…and cutting right down the center of the sweater…did you try that? Very cute, I’m going to make them! Thanks!!

14 annie October 14, 2010 at 11:14 am

SEW…..I am puzzling about which sides you sew and which you leave open. I am GUESSING you sew the one short side and the two long sides together and then turn thru the bottom edge???? Is this correct. Clever and very cute idea.

15 Brittany October 14, 2010 at 2:56 pm

I love this! I’ll be featuring it on my blog sometime soon. Thanks for sharing! little-inspirations.blogspot.com.

16 di October 14, 2010 at 11:32 pm

Oh my gosh! I LOVE this!!!!! I can’t wait to make one for myself!

17 CAPow! October 15, 2010 at 8:34 pm

that is so cute & easy! I know what I’ll be wearing this winter!

18 Lisa@Pickles and Cheese October 23, 2010 at 4:58 pm

I made one today and featured you on my blog! Thanks so much for the great tutorial. I love it!

19 Miss Muffin November 8, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Totally loving this. And also have a bunch of clothes that I need to upcycle/ change … this project seems great. Love the scarf! On my to-do list!

20 lindsey November 18, 2010 at 12:16 am

love this! i only have one sweater that is too big that i could think of working for this, but it is too pretty to cut up…maybe a trip to the thrift shop will help me.

21 Bewitched Closet November 29, 2010 at 10:51 pm

We passed your idea along to our readers!! Check out our post, http://thebewitchedclosetofutah.blogspot.com/2010/11/happy-late-thanksgiving.html. :) Thanks for the great idea!

22 bricabrocamoi December 8, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Magnifique idée..
Du plus bel effet.

23 Maria May 18, 2011 at 9:57 am

Hello.
I have a restlessness.
Since it does so that the edges cut of pullover are not disarmed? it is to me impossible to do it., because short it and it enclosure for bullfighting, but is disarmed to use it or when washing it.
There is a trick?
I am of Argentina. Buenos Aires

24 Jennifer November 7, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Do you have anything to keep it together while you are wearing it?….. like an eye hook?

25 Meaghan December 22, 2011 at 9:44 pm

What do you use to keep it closed together? since you dont have button holes and what not. What did you use??

26 Ann January 20, 2012 at 9:10 pm

i took my old sweaters & made pillows,framed artwork.,placemats,socks,made my dog a coat,cut them up &sewed on jeanjackets,demin shirts.this is a great idea too. thanks for sharing it.

27 Shirley October 30, 2012 at 12:25 pm

awesome….I love this. I am a plus size and am always finding sweaters that I love but can’t wear at the thrift store. I will be making this. Thanks…

28 McFeisty December 8, 2012 at 6:49 pm

I agree with the comment about being able to make 2 of these from one sweater, just cut across the top, cutting off the collar, and then cut straight down the sides, cutting off the side seams and the sleeves.

Instructions are a little unclear about how to sew, but I think she meant she folded the rectangle longways (outsides/right sides together) and then stitched across the short end without the ribbing, then down the long side, then turned the tube right-side out. I expect she used a zigzag, or a serger/overlock machine. You should not have any unraveling once you sew all the cut edges together like that. If your sweater doesn’t have a ribbed or finished edge, you might have to sew all edges and leave an opening for turning, then hand-stitch the opening closed.

Cross the ends as in the picture, then sew on your buttons to hold it together, through all layers of the knit. You could also use any kind of decorative applique or tassles, or whatever you can think of, as long as you tack/sew them on through all layers. Worst case, get some contrasting yarn and make giant cross stitches to hold in place, I bet that would be cute, too.

Great project, Cheri, I hope my comment helps some who had some confusion! :)

29 angela - mammaemamme September 19, 2013 at 4:57 am

Lovely!!! what a great idea! I have a similar white wool sweater and I know now what to do with it this fall. It is perfect for my neck. And the huge buttons the final touch. I LOVE IT! THANKS

30 Mimi October 2, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Simple and chic. I have some gorgeous green buttons I’ve been saving for just the right project. thanks for the idea!

{ 11 trackbacks }