reader question: holiday gift ideas

by kath_red on November 30, 2010

in News+Letters

Tallulah wrote in asking for help in finding some ideas for her carpenter cousin.

Your site is amazing and always inspires me, especially when gift-giving season rolls around. I was wondering if you have any ideas for sewn gifts for someone who has just gotten really into carpentry? I’m hoping for less-than-a-yard ideas for my cousin who is a) male and b) not so into “cute” things. I am wracking my brain but can’t really come up with any ideas for him. Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much!
Tallulah

I think that Tallulah should make the firewood tote we featured here a while back – do you have any other ideas?

1 betz November 30, 2010 at 10:32 pm

How about some kind of utility apron? Here’s one idea:

2 Byneedleandthread November 30, 2010 at 11:38 pm

How about about a tool caddy that fits in a 10 gallon bucket. I’ve seen some tutorials online somewhere.

3 julie November 30, 2010 at 11:52 pm

For the handy men in my life I have made screwdriver rolls- just like a craynon roll , but holds a set of screwdrivers. They were a huge hit, with requests for chisels rolls. Hope this helps!

4 kathryn December 1, 2010 at 12:44 am

Those are both good ideas. (altho a 5 gallon bucket may be easier to find & to lug around. :D ) You could use a drop cloth for your fabric. It’s sturdy, cheap, & not at all girly.

5 Erin Wilson December 1, 2010 at 10:17 am

Like Julie, chisel rolls go over well. I’ve also made custom leather protectors for the ends of the chisels… keeps them sharp and prevents them from poking through the end of the roll!

6 katie December 1, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Depending on what kind of carpentry, a dust cover for a table saw or scroll saw might be neat. Seconding the bucket belt idea, too.

7 tia December 1, 2010 at 3:45 pm

I think a carpenter apron would be great….with little slots for him to keep his tools handy.