Guest blog series: Peanut butter jelly game

by kath_red on March 4, 2011

in Guest Series 2011, Toys+Plush, Whip Up Tutorials

I am really happy to have Mollie from Wild Olive joining us at Whipup today.

I’m so happy to be here today! When I was a little girl, one of my favorite games was a Pop-O-Matic game where you built peanut butter & jelly sandwiches out of foam. I still have the game, but the foam has started to age and I don’t want anything to happen to this dear memory. But I got to thinking, I bet I could make a similar game out of felt, and I’m sharing that with you too. Are you ready? It’s peanut butter jelly time!

Here’s what you’ll need:

- PB&J template [download the PDF here]
- felt in cream, light brown and purple (or the jelly color of your choice!)
- embroidery floss in tan and black

To Make:
1. Using the templates, cut out all of the pieces.
2. Embroider faces onto the bread with black floss. (After all, this is a Wild Olive project, and I like things with faces!)
3. Use a running stitch to sew around two bread pieces with tan floss. Repeat for each set.
4. Sew a cube, with matching colors on opposite sides of the cube, and leave a small opening. Add just enough stuffing to keep its shape, then sew closed.

To play:
1. Take turns rolling the die to collect pieces and assemble your sandwich in order. The colors of the die indicate which piece you get on your roll.
2. You must start with a piece of bread, then add peanut butter and jelly in any order, then finish with a piece of bread (with a face!).
3. The first one to complete their PB&J sandwich wins!

1 Seanna Lea March 4, 2011 at 9:56 am

That is super cute! I never saw this game, but I eat a lot of peanut butter so it would (and still is) be right up my alley!

2 Jennifer B March 4, 2011 at 11:44 am

I had the peanut butter and jelly game as a kid, but not the pop-o-matic one.

Mine had a board that you traveled around to pick up partial pieces of each item (1/4, 1/2 or a full piece depending on how much of a piece was on the space you landed on).

It’s still at my parents house and is one of the things my daughter wants to play every time we go visit. I didn’t realize anyone else still played this game!

3 Ann March 4, 2011 at 11:50 am

Fantastic idea! Love it!

4 Lori March 4, 2011 at 3:07 pm

This is super cute!

How many of each item would you make for the game to be playable? Do you pick up a piece everytime you roll the dice even if you already have that piece? (thinking ahead to explaining the game to nephews & nieces).

5 Sarah March 4, 2011 at 4:23 pm

I’m going to feel free to comment on your post here. I am assuming that if you roll for an item you already have you do nothing and it is the next players to to roll. Essentially you loose your turn.

6 Sarah March 4, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I am making this tonight and using an empty peanut butter jar to store it in. My girls are going to love it. This is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich my youngest actually can enjoy (she has a peanut allergy).

7 Christina April 1, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Great idea! I’ve been wondering how to store the game. Would also make a great way to gift it to other little ones.

8 mollie March 4, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Lori: I made a complete sandwich for each player. And we play so that you pick up a piece only if you need it for your sandwich. But you could adjust these to play how you want!

9 Laura March 4, 2011 at 5:21 pm

This game remind of Slamwhich. I used to love playing that game with my sister and brother. Thanks for the cute game. I am going to be watching some kiddos tomorrow and this is perfect.
I linked to this site here:http://asnailslife.wordpress.com/

10 Ammie March 4, 2011 at 6:19 pm

So cute! I wanna make it and play today.

11 luvinthemommyhood March 4, 2011 at 8:41 pm

This is so adorable! What a fabulous idea!

12 Dee M March 4, 2011 at 9:24 pm

This is terrific! I’ve never heard of it before but will be making a set for my grandchildren. The oldest are 6 and 4 so I think they’ll love it! They can even play it together. Also have a 2 y/o and 20 mo. old grand!

13 Angela March 5, 2011 at 11:28 am

How fun! We are making this right now :o) Love Saras Peanut Butter jar idea!!

14 kath_red March 9, 2011 at 8:32 pm

And for australians why not try a Vegemite and cheese version – thanks to Di http://clementineshoes.blogspot.com/ for the idea ;)

15 tonilea March 6, 2011 at 11:16 am

I am THRILLED to see this game. Being older than most of you, I bought the game for my children. They loved it, and it got used til it was no more. LOL Just the other day I was talking to my husband about wishing I had that game for my grandchildren but alas, I cannot find it anywhere. Suddenly, here it is and in a format that I can make and have it be FOREVER! YAY Thanks so much. I couldn’t remember exactly how it was played, but your explanation helps so much.
gratefully
tonilea

16 Nikki March 9, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Oh this is so cute. I love the little faces on the bread.

17 Trina March 21, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I made this over the weekend! My kids loved it!

18 mira March 23, 2011 at 8:10 am

I made this last night, can’t wait to play it. Love the idea to store it in an old pb&j jar, but I think we’re going to use one of our myriad tupperware containers instead so it stays flatter.
Thinking about making a meat/cheese/lettuce/tomato/onion version next!

19 Erin A March 28, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Thats cute! I found this while looking at similar posts for my Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Peanut Butter & Jelly flavored buttercream…that I made/posted today! HOW CUTE this game looks.

20 Cassy April 19, 2011 at 2:20 pm

So cute!
I’m sewing a face on the die of mine to make it harder. (So in order to finish your sandwich, you have to roll the smiley face.)

21 Sharni November 20, 2011 at 7:49 am

I made this for my son and he loves it. I have just made another one for a charitable cause, but this time I reduced the pattern by half so it’s a travel version. Very cute!

Thank you so much! x

22 beth January 12, 2012 at 12:00 pm

This is UNBELIEVABLY clever and waaaaaaaaaay cute!! I’d love for you to link this up tomorrow at my TGIF LInky Party – http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/search/label/Linkey%20Parties – I KNOW my readers would love it too!
Beth =-)

23 Tami January 12, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Just stopping by to let you know that I’ve featured your craft on Family Fun Crafts! You can see it here:

If you have other kid friendly crafts, I’d love it if you would submit them. :) If you would like to display a
featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above.

24 kath_red January 13, 2012 at 4:45 pm

thanks so much

25 Lori February 11, 2012 at 8:42 am

I love this! My dd needs to make something homemade for valentines day for a secret pal in her 1st grade class, and she got a boy! This is perfect!!!! Thank you!

26 Trish February 12, 2012 at 11:50 am

You could go a step further and have cards of matching colors. They draw a card and have to answer the math problem, read the word or say letter name/sound. Good practice! I too have the foam game, but think we’ll be making this version. Thanks!!

27 Holly July 10, 2012 at 10:17 am

Cute idea! My kids would love this!

28 Heidi Schroeder November 4, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Has anyone heard of the peanut butter and jelly sandwich game that goes like this “we want a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and the mother would ask let me see your hands the mother would slap the kids hands in a row Dirty dirty dirty etc.and say go upstairs and wash your face and hands . we would play this outside. when we got to a spot that was the upstairs we would scream running to the mother “mommy mommy theirs a ghost upstairs she would reply thats just the reflection of your daddys underwear ect…

29 kath_red March 9, 2011 at 8:26 pm