Guest blogger series: Everest – The ultimate knitting needle holder

by kath_red on March 14, 2011

in Guest Series 2011, Whip Up Tutorials

Today I would like to welcome Shannon from Luvinthemommyhood to whipup, where she shares a great pattern and tutorial to make a knitting needle holder.

Hi everyone, my name is Shannon and I’m a wife and stay-at-home mom to my 3 yr old daughter & 8mth old baby girl, and am happily living near the ocean on Vancouver Island, BC, Canada. I’m currently learning how to sew (and showing you how too), figuring out html (yuck – can we say headache!), crafting (when I have time), parenting (when my 3 year old isn’t throwing tantrums), cooking (when i’m not breastfeeding on the couch), keeping the dreaded laundry pile down (don’t you just love laundry…not) and coffee in my system (definitely a necessity) all while sharing it with the world on my blog.. My blog, Luvinthemommyhood, is a friendly neighbourhood where crafty, creative moms can come to connect, enjoy a cup of coffee, some girl chat and share in all the fabulous, scary, hilarious & inspiring things that come along with living life in the mommyhood.

Most crafters & sewers agree that they can never have enough space to create in. We use closets, walls, desks, tables, floors, shelves and anything we can get our hands on to organize, stash & control the supplies, tools and books/patterns we need to happily make with. I myself started with a small corner and eventually told my hubby one day we were no longer going to use our eating area & that it was going to become my new “sewing wall”. I’ve since been revamping this tiny wall that is still triple the size of the one I had before. Do I have it all organized the way I want it yet? Nope, it’s been months & one of the last things I have left to tackle are all my knitting needles.

During this time my hubby and I have started watching the show “Everest: Beyond the Limits“. It follows a team of climbers as they conquer the tallest mountain in the world and overcome challenges as they do it. What the heck does that have to do with knitting needles you ask? Well….you know when you find one of those projects that you just can’t seem to get to work? It keeps you awake at night and you keep making it in your head over and over again and you just can’t seem to get the pieces to work right. This organizer was my Everest. It was my tall creative mountain to overcome.

I had to take on my own personal hurdles to get this organizer to work for me. My first few designs didn’t work out, my sewing machine kept breaking, my thread was cheap (I ran out of thread and begged the hubby to buy some from the dollar giant one night – big mistake) and causing all sorts of havoc, my laptop died for half a day with all my sketches and photos for the tutorial on it, my toddler got croup and I got sick, I ran out of daylight for my pictures on more than one occasion and the list goes on. But I’m not complaining. It challenged me. I had to push myself to climb my own little mini sewing Everest and anyone else who has followed the show Everest will understand when I say that I made it to the summit, almost ran out of oxygen and hit a traffic jam at the 2nd step but I made it home with no frostbite and I’m alive to tell the tale.

What I found so challenging when designing this organizer was that I knew I wanted something to hold ALL of my needles. That includes straight, double pointed and circulars. You knitters all know what I’m talking about. Heck you can even fit crochet hooks in it if you so choose and I probably will put them in here too. I also knew I didn’t want it to be a roll that when you close it or roll it all the needles you just spent forever putting away come falling out causing you to curse like a madwoman. Who wants to be resorting needles when you could be knitting? Not me. I also knew I wanted people to be able to mix it up based on the size, length and style of what they wanted to hold in the organizer. I also wanted it to hold all my knitting accessories and even a few patterns if I feel like it. So I decided to come up with a base design that you can simply follow and put your own spin on to suit your taste and organizing needs. Don’t you think it would look smashing in vintage fabric with ric rac on the pockets? Fun & so many options!

So don your creative gear, get ready for your next sewing expedition. It’s gonna be fun! I’ll be your team leader and lead you to make your own Everest. We’re gonna conquer those needles ladies and it’s gonna feel great!

Download Everest: The Ultimate Knitting Needle Organizer PDF pattern and tutorial here. [link fixed]

1 alexa March 14, 2011 at 7:21 am

I’m so excited to take a look at this and make it, but the link keeps going to an apron…

Great job on overcoming your Everest though.

2 lyndaljane March 14, 2011 at 7:25 am

Looks fantastic, but the link is for an apron?

3 Maya March 14, 2011 at 7:32 am

I desperately need this!
Thank you so much for sharing!!

4 Mandy March 14, 2011 at 7:45 am

Good morning! Currently the link takes you to the apron pdf.

5 Jennifer March 14, 2011 at 7:55 am

I really need this, too! I have all my grandmother’s old knitting needles and I need a better way to keep track of them, plus have room for some new to fill in the gaps (we need a set of every size, right?! However, the link is for the flirty apron … hope you can fix it, soon!

6 mimi March 14, 2011 at 8:01 am

when i click the link i get the tutorial for the flirty apron!

7 Claudia March 14, 2011 at 8:11 am

Me too! I get the flirty apron pattern. Could you please fix it? I absolutely need the knitting needles organizer. Thank you.

8 Nichole March 14, 2011 at 9:17 am

i’m super excited about this tutorial! but alas, i too am finding the apron pattern when i click the link. i look forward to checking it out whenever it’s fixed!

9 Amanda March 14, 2011 at 9:21 am

Haha – tutorial for an apron. The needle pattern is MIA!

10 Kristina March 14, 2011 at 9:30 am

I thought it had to do with Everest because you needed something to carry all your needles in while you were climbing Everest. LOL You see where MY mind goes. I’m all about knitting on the go, and there are times when I DON’T have the needle I need. Thanks for the tutorial.

11 airali March 14, 2011 at 9:56 am

me too! this apron is very cute but needles organizer is fantastic!!! thanks

12 Tora March 14, 2011 at 10:09 am

ooops, looks like you’ve got the wrong link up – hope you fix it soon – would love to start this one today!

13 itsrenee March 14, 2011 at 11:12 am

ditto =) . . . but the apron IS cute!

14 Rebecca March 14, 2011 at 11:18 am

I also got the flirty apron… hrmmm…. I too am anxious to start this project :)

15 Lori March 14, 2011 at 11:20 am

This looks great! I’ll check back later for the pdf. not that the apron isn’t cute, mind, just that I have more use for the needle organizer :)

16 wendy March 14, 2011 at 1:18 pm

the apron is cute and all, but will it store my knitting needles???

17 Kate March 14, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Can’t wait to see the tutorial – and I love luvinthemommyhood’s blog – thanks for the inspiration!!

18 luvinthemommyhood March 14, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Hi everyone,
Shannon from luvinthemommyhood here. Sorry about the confusion with the download. Not sure what’s going on. I’ve emailed Kathreen and hopefully all will be fixed soon. Thanks for your comments :)

19 kath_red March 14, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Sorry for the delay – just waking up on this side of the world :)

20 kath_red March 14, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Hi everyone
sorry for the inconvenience and confusion – the link to the pdf pattern is now fixed
cheers
K

21 MJ March 14, 2011 at 5:28 pm

What a gift! Thanks so much!!

22 Joan March 14, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Okay, now it is the right pattern, but the file asks for a password to be saved, and seems to be missing some text/pictures … *help!*

23 kath_red March 14, 2011 at 5:58 pm

hold tight – am trying again

24 kath_red March 14, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Link fixed – no pics missing – grey squares are not missing images rather pattern pieces and placement illos.
enjoy the pattern.

xx
K

25 Claudia March 15, 2011 at 5:15 am

Aaahhh! Everything works and comes out perfectly! Thank you so much for fixing! Greetings from Germany

26 Jane Richmond March 23, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I am sooo excited about this tutorial! I really need a solution for all of my needles and notions! I have tried to whip up my own organizers with very little planning and even less knowledge of sewing. I really hope that a beginner like me can make a beautiful Everest!

27 kath_red March 27, 2011 at 12:18 am

Yay – I am sure you can do it – just take it slow and steady!

28 Holly April 11, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I was disappointed by this tutorial/pattern. After reading through the instructions several times I still have no clear idea what the finished product is supposed to look like, or how to construct it.

29 luvinthemommyhood May 7, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Holly,

I’m sorry to hear that. A lot of the tutorial is customizable based on your taste and needle sizes. If you would like further instructions on any part of the tutorial please don’t hesitate to email me (luvinthemommyhood@yahoo.ca) for extra info or pics. I left a lot of it open for people so that it’s more fun to make the organizer work for what tools and notions you have in your knitting stash :)

I hope to hear from you. Happy sewing.

30 Tori Carroll May 17, 2012 at 12:08 am

Hello–

I am sorry this redundant but I want to make sure that I am cutting the fabric correctly. I cut one large piece from each of my two fabrics. I then cut my pockets and flaps from the same material that is on the outside of my bag. Finally I will cut my handle from the fabric that makes up the inside of the bag. I am a fairly new sewer so I wanted to check before I cut. Thank you very much I appreciate any extra help. I am making this for my mother in law.

31 kath_red May 17, 2012 at 6:59 am

Hi Tori
You really need to contact the author of this post directly via her blog http://www.luvinthemommyhood.com/

32 TeenYarnie September 29, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Could you post a photo of the entire case, opened, possibly with everything you have in it? I would love to make this to store all my stray needles and notions. I just want to see the overall design and how practical it would be. Thanks. :)

33 kath_red September 29, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Please contact the original designer – I am sure she would be happy to oblige! Go to her website link at the top of the page.

xx
K

34 Casey Buell January 9, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Hi… I’m trying to figure this out, but having some difficulty. I do not see what the purpose is or where the flaps come in. In the diagram, it shows the needle pockets, but does not show how to icorrporate the flaps and how they are to be used. Also, when folding the entire project to figure where to place the handle, you have fold from top to bottom. Do you not mean at this point side to side? Do you have any more pictures or diagrams that can help me figure this out. I love this organizer, and am just dying to put it together!

{ 2 trackbacks }