Guide to online e-magazines

by kath_red on 18/06/2011

in Resources

Since starting up my own kids e-mag, I have become aware of the whole e-magazine world. I knew of many of these e-mags before – but suddenly everyone is doing one! Many of them are free to you the reader, and the publishers can do this because they are funded by advertising. Other mags (like mine) have a minimal price tag attached with no advertising.

Here are a whole slew of e-mags from all over – mostly design, fashion, craft related – you know – gorgeous visual stuff!

Craft / how-to / diy e-mags

1. Fat quarterly - ($8) is a quarterly quilt magazine.
  2. Knit circus - articles and knitting patterns.
  3. Toffee mag – ($2.99) DIY craft and lifestyle.
  4. Rhythm of the home – eco and family craft.
  5. Nuno magazine - ($3.95) gorgeous style and craft and diy projects.
  6. Craft sanity - ($5) – knitting and craft projects.
  7. Inspired ideas - The crafty life.
  8. Knitty.com - Knitting patterns.
  9. Twist collective – Knitting patterns and articles.
  10. Bustle and sew magazine - ($4.50) Cute sewing patterns

For kids

1. Alphabet glue - ($4) – Making books and reading inspiration. (ad free).
  2. Action Pack - ($5) – Craft, cooking, science and diy project for kids to make independently (ad free).
  3. Wonderwonderland - (€5) – Partly interactive online kids mag for little kids and parents to explore together. (ad free).

Cooking / lifestyle e-mags

1. Sweet Paul Magazine – a bit of cooking and a bit of entertaining.
  2. MAEVE Magazine - Intelligent, street smart lifestyle mag with a bit of diy and cooking thrown in.
  3. 79 ideas – craft, cooking and lifestyle.
  4. Delish Magazine – craft, cooking and life issues for the modern woman.

Design / interiors / fashion e-mags

1. Matchbook mag – lifestyle, fashion and all things glam for the about town girl.
  2. Est - Australian design magazine.
  3. Fryd Design - gorgeous Scandinavian interiors, design and little diy inspiration. (English version too).
  4. Lonny Mag – fashion and style.
  5. Viva la moda - fashion and diy.
  6. Neet magazine - Eco fashion and style for groovy young thangs.
  7. Joie - Style and fashion mag – with a bit of diy thrown in.
  8. Styled - Gorgeous design.
  9. Covet Garden - non-styled real life interiors.
  10. Adore magazine - Australian based home and interior design mag.
  11. Rue mag - design and lifestyle

Parenting and kids style mags

1. Papier Mache - Australian style and fashion mag – dreamy magical kids styling.
  2. Small magazine - Gorgeous children’s photography and styling, a tiny bit of diy inspiration too.
  3. La petite - life and design for parents with children – more about parenting than about children.
  4. Babiekins - Kids fashion.
  5. lmnop - babies and kids design and fashion.
  6. Modern handmade child - diy and patterns to make accessories and clothing for children.
  7. Tiny and little magazine - for parents wanting to cook and create with their little kids
  8. Connect2Mums - parenting and motherhood magazine for Australian and New Zealand mothers

1 amy June 18, 2011 at 9:53 am

Ooh, thanks, lots & lots of new mags to explore! May I add another? Twist Collective (twistcollective.com) is a mix–free content, and patterns available to purchase. Each issue is simply lovely to look through.

2 kath_red June 18, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Thanks – have added it to the list above

3 Jodi Anderson June 18, 2011 at 10:02 am

Thank you for providing this comprehensive list. I would definitely pay for online magazines without advertising, and I have done so. I have recommended Action Pack to others. My girl turns 19 on Monday, but if she was a tot, AP would be a regular for me.

4 Catherine June 18, 2011 at 11:48 am

Great list! There is another mag called Adore you might want to check out too.

5 kath_red June 18, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Great – thanks – have added it to the list above.

6 Maya June 18, 2011 at 12:06 pm

Oh Kath the list is wondrous! Thank you so much for offering it!

7 Cinnamon June 18, 2011 at 4:42 pm

Thank you for this list! I have been aware of all the magazines but could never remember/find them when I wanted them. This is perfect.

8 se7en June 18, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Your lists are just awesome – I am so loving your blog!!!

9 justine June 18, 2011 at 6:29 pm

What a great resource list — thanks x

10 Sarah June 19, 2011 at 12:49 am

Great list, I can’t wait to go through them all! I would also recommend Delish (http://delishmag.com/)

11 kath_red June 19, 2011 at 7:01 am

thanks Sarah for showing this great mag to me – am updating the list with this one added.

12 Nikki June 19, 2011 at 2:07 am

Thanks for this list! Love your blog.

13 Anita June 20, 2011 at 9:32 am

I love this list!

There is one magazine that I can’t seem to find any detail on online. It’s a paper magazine, but it looks so AMAZING. I am wondering if anyone knows if there is some previews online about what the articles are like inside.

Here is the link to their website. http://www.donnapiucreativa.it/

It’s not much of a website, a placeholder really.

Thanks!

14 luvinthemommyhood June 21, 2011 at 10:49 am

Ohhhhh…Kathreen you must check out Rue. So awesome!! It’s one of my faves right now.

15 kath_red June 21, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Thank you – have added ruemag – lovely. and Lmnop is already on the list under parenting/design mags.

16 luvinthemommyhood June 21, 2011 at 10:53 am

Oops, forgot to mention for kids I really have loved LMNOP for a few years now. They are fab! They were free until now, but still not too pricey. They are usually filled with tons of great creative content for kids and parents.

17 Tamara {Delish Mag} June 24, 2011 at 4:01 pm

As the editor of Delish Magazine and one half of the creative head office team (we have all sorts of fantastic contributors), I’d like to thank you for the inclusion of our magazine! (And thank Sarah for “nominating” us for inclusion!) It’s certainly become a very busy marketplace of e-mags, and we do hope that our content and design attracts readers.

We love what other writers and editors are doing with their online magazines and are so excited to be a part of such a great group.

Thanks again!!

18 Miss Muffin June 29, 2011 at 6:50 pm

There is a emag from Bustle and Sew you can order

I have read the first issue only – but I love her blog and her free newsletter and the only reason that keeps me from ordering the magazine is that I simply have way too little time to actually do all those great projects …

Love

Ms Muffin

19 peace July 3, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I love online magazines and this is a very comprehensive list, thanks for sharing! I just wanted to let you also know about Connect2mums magazine a lifestyle/parenting/mums magazine and also AusMumpreneur Magazine for mums in business. You’ll find the link on our home page at http://www.connect2mums.com.au
Peace