I have been thinking a lot lately about what I want to achieve from my life, what my purpose is, what my creative goals are, personal goals – family goals. Analysing what is important, what I need and what I can live without – and what I can’t live without – what are my priorities? All this angst – just like a teenager – but actually I have never been more sure of myself than I am now – about to turn 40 and I feel like my life is on track – I know what I want – finally! After all these years I have a sliver of a clue!
I was sitting in my local cafe yesterday morning, having a cup of coffee, I was a little early for an appointment and had 20 minutes to kill. So I sat and drank a double shot of espresso (I needed it) and as I sketched a few designs in my journal I listened to the conversations going on around me. A sentence sort of popped out from the general hubbub “I am halfway through my degree and I feel like I haven’t learned anything”. Oh what a gem – here I sit, halfway through my life and only just beginning to feel like I may have worked out a few things.
So what have I worked out?
- Life is good
- Moon face is acceptable
- I look cute with pig tails
- My bum is not so fat (just wide)
- I should’t drink too much red wine
- Food additives are evil
- A cup of tea can solve many problems
- Acceptance of a messy house is good
- I don’t have a green thumb
- I don’t need so much stuff
- I love books
- Crochet is good
- Hand stitching is not my forte
- I want to have lots of adventures
- I love baking but not cooking dinner
- I want to raise my own cows/goats/pigs/chickens
- Sport is over rated
- TV is not essential
- Reading is essential
- People are amazing
- Hats suit me
- I need lists and notebooks and calendars
- I never want to renovate a house ever again
- I yearn to go tramping in New Zealand
- Steak and salad is a perfect meal
What have you worked out?