Guest blogger | Khadija – Pakistani truck art

by kath_red on 24/08/2011

in Guest Blogger, Historic Craft

Khadija loves to make creative things she is interested in recycling, DIY and Fashion based crafts. You can find her online at Creative Mind.

Pakistan is rich in an art and craft tradition. I am proud to be a Pakistani. My post today is amazing because today I will share a unique Pakistani art tradition which is mostly done by illiterate working class people such as truck drivers or their fellow mechanics and painters. You will definitely feel amazing after watching their creativity and art. I will try to write less and show you more!

I enjoy watching these awesome motives and paintings on trucks while driving on the highway but the other day when my car was stopped in traffic I saw a big colorful truck. I thought to take its picture, but the truck was so big I was unable to take the full picture of the whole of it from car window, then the traffic again started to flow – so when I returned home I looked up these images via google. How Creative!

Examples of Pakistani Truck Art

The artists use lots of materials besides the paints for embellishing like colorful tapes, mirrors, shining stickers, beads, glitter and sometimes fabric it is a lengthy procedure to design a truck…

Haider Ali, is one of Pakistan's finest Truck Artist - he has had his work displayed at the Smithsonian Museum, USA in the Silkroad Folk Festival. He started his work when he was just 12, working alongside his father after school.

Each brush stroke is done by a human, not any machine, not a single technology at work. Would you like to see some artists who are creating this art from a long time. Every Stroke is AWESOME by these workers, they don’t have professional training or education but their work speaks.

Truck artists at work

Many artists, designers and fashion designers are inspired by truck art.

Fashion designer Deepak Perwani whose latest collection was inspired by Pakistani Truck art.

Many objects are painted in this style.

Examples of truck art style on objects

And many people copy this style to paint their cars too.

Cars painted in the truck art style

1 eeloh August 24, 2011 at 8:19 am

a few years ago, some Pakistani/ Indian? artisans were commissioned to do this to a tram in Melbourne… it was fantastic. I was really sorry when it got painted over or whatever it is they did with it.

2 ccherry August 24, 2011 at 8:23 am

Beaufiful but I think I’d be getting into wrecks all the time ogling the rolling canvases. Oh, I want the painted bug. Wonder if I can find a Pakistani truck artist in northeastern Colorado to paint my pick-up.

3 CitricSugar August 24, 2011 at 1:31 pm

My aunt and uncle lived in Pakistan for 7 years and it was amazing to see how their tastes and appreciations changed over time. They brought back a couple of wonderful pieces and the gifts they would bring when they came home every summer were always beautiful…

Lovely collection.

4 Helen August 24, 2011 at 9:14 pm

These trucks are really beautiful and remind me of the painted trucks in Mexico. Interesting that two countries so far a part both have a similar tradition.

5 michele August 26, 2011 at 7:28 pm

The painted trucks are beautifully done. The people are extremely talented and it must be fun to see these trucks on the highway.

6 ellen August 28, 2011 at 10:57 am

Just gorgeous!

7 WT McRae August 28, 2011 at 12:45 pm

This is such an inspiration! I want to try to use this style to paint our flower pots. . . Thanks for the post!

8 CREATIVE MIND August 29, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Thank you all sweet people & specially the friendly Kathreen for hosting me at whip up..so nice of you!!my pleasure to be here at whip up :)
its so nice to read above words, thanks again!!

9 Pakistani Truck Art April 16, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Wow.. this art is amazing and m just really inspired by these talented and amazing truck artists. This is something very unique and it is rarely shown in any other part of the world.