Regina Lord currently lives in southern Arizona with the love of her life and her two beautiful boys. She is passionate about doing what she loves and incorporates art into her daily living whether though painting, drawing, photography, art journaling, sewing or blogging about her creative passions. You can see more of what she does on her website Creative Kismet.
Have you noticed the chalkboard paint craze? It’s everywhere! On walls, doors, jars, posts. Really you can put it on just about anything. I’ve already painted it on my pantry door, but thought it would be fun to do something more portable for my kids. Something they could carry around, take in their room or on a long road trip.
I thought a painted board book would be fun and perfect for this idea. So, I went on a trip to my local thrift shop and the hardware store to grab a few things in order to try this out. All you really need is a large board book, a can of chalkboard spray paint, sand paper and some gesso or white primer.
A board book is easy enough to paint, but needs a little prep so that the paint stays on and doesn’t peel off.
- Most books have a glossy finish, so with a bit of sandpaper lightly sand the surface of each page– just enough to take the gloss off.
- Paint or spray a light layer of either gesso or spray paint primer. Pages may start to curl, but will flatten out when they dry.
- Spray on chalkboard paint according to manufacturer’s directions. I did a couple of layers on each page allowing sufficient drying time between layers.
- Once the book is dry, you can keep it as is, or go a step further and make different activities for the kids to play. I used a permanent white marker for this so that it wouldn’t wipe away when cleaning up the chalk.
Other fun chalk board ideas for you to try:
- Chalkboard Labels and Lids and Jars: chalk board labels :: Kitchen organisation :: Pretty jars
- Chalkboard walls and doors
- Planter pots
- Custom chalkboard colors recipe and ideas
- Chalkboard Tabletop
- Ideas for a toddler/kids room
- Chalkboard clothespins
- party & wedding ideas