Back from my month of camping

by kath_red on 24/10/2011

in Features

Thank you to all the wonderful guest bloggers who contributed articles on my month long hiatus – I am back at the helm (behind the scenes though for another week and a half with guests posting) while I get a few things done.

We had a super duper adventurous trip (with a few misadventures along the way too). I’ll let the pictures do the talking … for more pics from our trip I have a tumblr!

Lots of great scenery. (Flinders ranges) [We stayed at Wilpena pound camp ground - great place]

These amazing colours zooming past the car window.

Dirt roads – and an even dirtier car.

Some car travel crafting. [I am using some self striping yarn I bought from Etsy]

A misadventure. (Oodnadatta track)

Another misadventure (there were more but I got over photographing every one!)

Breathtaking sunsets. (Painted desert – SA) [We camped at nearby Arckaringa station - good facilities - a bit barren but turned out to be perfectly so - amazing sunsets]

And sunrise (cheeky kids too!) (Painted desert – SA)

Walking on inland salt lake – Lake Eyre

There is black sludge underneath that layer of salt

Camp fires

Lots of reading and cooking by the camp fire (the colours of the earth were incredible).

We ended up here. (Oodnadatta)

Musical junk sculpture in the middle of the desert. (Oodnadatta track)

Standing in front of a railway water tank from the old Ghan railway. (Oodnadatta track)

Wearing fly screen masks in a desert ruin and pretending to be a zombie. (Farina ruins) [We camped at the Farina Station campgrounds - an excellent find]

Cheeky kid wearing a pink hat. (notice our muddy camper trailer in the background)

We did some fishing too. (Murrumbidgee river) [Yanga National park - great spot]

Scruffy happy kids on the way home (sitting on a real submarine HMAS Otway - that happened to be decommissioned and resting in an inland town)

1 se7en October 24, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Love your photographs – it looks like you had a really chilled out time!!! And so many fun things to see and do – wonderful!!!

2 Phiona Richards October 25, 2011 at 3:30 am

Wow, what a great adventure you all had. Back to nature and the children seemed to love the freedom.

3 By Night October 25, 2011 at 4:24 am

These are amazing photos! I could spend hours looking at them! Thank you

4 Tricia October 25, 2011 at 4:56 am

I LOVE all that red dirt. Looks like you had a magical time.

5 Tania October 25, 2011 at 8:10 am

Just. PERFECT. (and stinky).

6 jennifer October 25, 2011 at 9:07 am

amazing photos, kath! what a wonderful adventure for you all. surely must have been inspiring, humbling and restorative. welcome back. xoxo

7 Seanna Lea October 25, 2011 at 4:00 pm

It looks like a lovely time and makes me miss the times years and years before that I went camping.

8 Tia October 25, 2011 at 5:36 pm

These pictures make me so homesick for Australia. What an amazing country. I miss it so.

9 Helen October 25, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Welcome home! What a wonderful adventure.

I’ve really enjoyed the guest blogger series – such creative and inspiring posts. And I’ve found a few new favorite blogs.

10 kath_red October 26, 2011 at 2:42 am

It was magic and adventure and fun and family – thank you friends

11 Kate October 26, 2011 at 6:21 am

What a wonderful adventure!
Our family are travelling around Australia in an old caravan at the moment too. Such a wonderful thing to do together. I hope you settle back home happily.

12 kath_red October 26, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Hi Kate – I love following your travels – looks like you are having a divine time
xx
thanks for stopping by

13 jojoebi October 26, 2011 at 6:59 pm

looks like you had a wonderful time and the kids look so happy, you must have lots of great memories!

14 Kate October 27, 2011 at 2:52 am

Wow….looks a-mazing. Glad you all had a wonderful adventure.

15 kirsten October 27, 2011 at 7:05 pm

wow! awesome, awesome photos. love that hipstamatic ‘wash’ on them – perfect.

16 Maya October 27, 2011 at 7:31 pm

The photos are witness of the fabulous time you had on vacation!
Love the photos Kathreen!

17 filambulle November 1, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Nice photos indeed!
I am catching up with blogland while resting for a few days in a “civilised” part of Australia. We are travelling here for six months total and our first month was passed in the coast and the countryside of Queensland. The ocean is a real treat for a swiss family, and we had a blast at noosa national park, inskip point, rainbow beach and now at surfers paradise, but my favourite days where spent inland, camping almost alone at Mount Walsh, or discovering by chance ten thousands nice people, objects and creations at Eumundi’s market.
We have been very lucky in our encountering, and I am blown away by the generosity and hospitality of the australian persons toward me and my family.

Our travelling blog is in french, for our family and friends back at home, and it hasn’t a lot of photos yet, but I put the link herewith nevertheless, for future reference! ;-)

I hope to also get muddy and red back soon.
Manuele