Guest post | Crocheted cloche pattern

by kath_red on 06/12/2011

in knitting+crochet+yarn

Maize Hutton lives in a little cottage in the woods with her Westie Violet Blossom. She’s a recycled silver artist and owns two websites: Mommytags and MaizeHutton. She loves crafting of all sorts and has recently taken up crochet. You can find more tutorials on her blog.

This quick crochet project would be a perfect last minute gift – or make a heap of them – you could definitely personalise this to be more masculine too.

Crocheted Cloche Pattern

This is my very first crocheted hat pattern! I gave myself an extra challenge of making it from two skeins of yarn from the dollar store. These crochet up quickly and you can easily finish one in an evening.

Notes and materials

• H Hook/5mm
  • Two skeins of yarn from the dollar store
  • The hat is made using two strands of yarn together but I’ve also made it using Lion’s Pride Bulky with one strand. If you’re crocheting with one strand, I suggest repeating another row of TC after row 6 and deleting one increase row from the brim.

Instructions

• Begin: Using 2 strands of yarn, chain 4, join to make circle with st st in 1st chain or make a magic loop with 4 sc then join.
  • Row 1: Chain 2 (counts as 1st DC) 12 DC in circle, join with sl st on 2nd chain in 1st DC (13)
  • Row 2: Chain 3 (counts as 1st TC) TC in same chain as chain 3. 2 TC in each DC to end, join with sl st at top of 3rd chain on 1st TC (26)
  • Row 3: Chain 3 (counts as 1st TC) TC in same chain as chain 3. 2 TC in next chain, *1 TC in following chain, 2 TC in following chain* repeat from *to* to end. Join row with sl st in 3rd chain of 1st TC (39)
  • Row 4: Chain 3 (counts as 1st TC) 1 TC in each chain to end. Join with sl st in 3rd ch of 1st TC (39)
  • Row 5: Repeat Row 4 (39)
  • Row 6: Chain 2 (counts as 1st DC) DC in each TC to end. Join with sl st in 2nd chain of 1st DC. (39)
  • Row 7: Chain 1 (counts as 1st SC) SC in each DC to end. Join with sl st in 1st chain (39)
  • Row 8: (making the brim): Chain 1 sc in next 10 SC. 1 DC in next chain, *2 DC in following chain, 1 DC in following chain* Repeat from *to* for 19 ch. SC in next 9 ch, Join with sl st to end row. (49)
  • Row 9: Chain 1, SC in next 10. 1 DC in next ch, *2 DC in following chain, 1 DC in following chain* Repeat from *to* for 28 ch, SC remaining 9 ch. Join with sl st to end row. (63)
  • Row 10: Chain 1, SC in next 10 ch. 1 DC in next ch, *2 dc in following chain, 1 DC in following chain* Repeat from *to* for 42 ch. Sc in remaining 9 ch. Join with sl st to end row. (84)
  • Row 11: Chain 1, SC in each ch to end. Sl st to first sc. Fasten off. Weave in ends. (84)
  • Line Detail: Use scrap yarn. Starting in the back seam, SC around stem at top of brim (in hole) then chain 1, repeat to end. Fasten off. Weave in ends.
  • Finish: There are many flower patterns on the web if you’d like to embellish it with a flower like I did.

ENJOY!

1 ElisabethAndrée December 6, 2011 at 9:03 am

Really nice cloche! Thank you for sharing the pattern, that is very kind of you!

2 Tina December 6, 2011 at 10:29 am

I’ve been trying to reach Kathreen regarding a purchase I made that I have not received. Where can I find an email address for her?

3 kath_red December 6, 2011 at 4:30 pm

my email address is available on the contact and about pages
cheers
Kathreen

4 Sally McEntire December 7, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I have been searching for a new hat pattern because I am in need (of course I need it!) of a new hat, this one is so cute and fits the bill perfectly. So grateful.

5 Nicole Vanderpol December 15, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Is there a video tutorial of this anywhere?

6 Helene December 22, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Very cute hat and easy directions. Mine came out very small. Is this child size or do I just crochet too tightly?

7 Neenya July 4, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I just finished making it and it came out child size too. I think next try will be with an I hook for me. I love the pattern. Thank you .

8 Maggie December 23, 2011 at 1:01 pm

I made this hat and it is SO cute! Finished it in about 3 hours. Will definitely be keeping this pattern on hand to make gifts for friends. Thanks for posting it! :-)

9 amber January 2, 2012 at 3:41 am

thank you for posting, i want this hat and now need to learn to crochet to make it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 Fran January 14, 2012 at 4:43 am

hi! i made 2 hats this evening, love the easy directions. i thought they came out small at first as well, but i’m assuming they’re supposed to stretch out? i’ve only used one strand bulky weight, and i dont think i’m crocheting too tightly. next i’ll try double strand and see how it goes. :)

11 Kim March 30, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I started to crochet (with double strand) this and thought it was turning out to be very small as well…i wish the sized was posted on here…because I wanted mine to fit me…and it looks at though it is going to fit a newborn :o(…maybe I can start a new one and modify it to make it larger!

12 Stephene January 20, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this cute pattern?

13 Neenya July 4, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I loved the pattern. Thank you

14 haley July 4, 2012 at 6:13 pm

super cute. lost it around row 8 though… is there a video? also it came out REALLY small.

15 Terri B August 20, 2012 at 9:01 am

I just finished this hat, but my brim didn’t come out anything like the photo, seems like there are way too many stitches –it turned out more like a ruffle than a brim. Are you supposed to increase that many times for the brim? I really love the look of the hat in the photo so any help will be greatly appreciated.

16 Emily February 23, 2013 at 1:53 am

I had the same issue as Terri B. the brim is extremely ruffled. It’s cute, but not what I was going for.