Guest post | Felt house ornament
Cate Anevski is an artist, illustrator, and all-around maker living in less-than-sunny Portland, OR, who recently took up the task of converting the rest of the world into crafters, one tutorial at a time. Constantly working and creating, Cate shares her work at her blog and in her Etsy shop, and she provides tutorials, patterns and other general nonsense in a side project, Bee’s Knees Activities.
Felt House Ornament
When family lives far away, it can be hard to feel truly at home during the holidays. This little handmade ornament can help bring a little slice of home to you, wherever you may roam.
- Felt in 3 different colors
- Embroidery floss in 3 different colors
- Water soluble marker (optional)
- Pattern pieces PDF here
- Step 1. Cut out pattern pieces from felt.
- Step 2. Pin roof piece to house piece with a 1/2″ overlap. Stitch in place with 3 strands of embroidery floss using the running stitch following the scallop shape of the roof. Repeat for both roof and house pieces.
- Step 3. Sew door to front of house with three strands of embroidery floss using blanket stitch.
- Step 4. Embroider window details on front of house with two strands of embroidery floss using the backstitch. You can draw guidelines on the felt with a water soluble marker, or you can freehand the lines.
- Step 5. Sew front and back house pieces wrong sides together with three strands of embroidery floss using blanket stitch. Leave an opening of about 2″ with a long tail of thread to sew it shut.
- Step 6. Stuff your ornament as much or as little as you like. Stitch shut the opening you left in the last step using the long tail of thread.
- Step 7. Thread a 4″ piece of embroidery floss through the point of the roof and tie in a knot.