Exploration of colour and design at Pinterest

by kath_red on 20/01/2012

in Community + Creativity

I have been spending a little time over at Pinterest lately – if you are interested in following my boards – here is the link. This virtual pinboard is a little addictive don’t you think? What do you think?

I am doing some research for a article about pinterest and so headed on over there for some serious pinning — to be honest I have used it a bit before but infrequently — sporadically — so I was interested how widespread it has suddenly become.

As well as hanging out over at Pinterest – which is no hardship believe me! I did a little digging and found a few articles about how people are using Pinterest – tres interesting! :: Chronicle are group pinning  [Follow their boards  here] :: Apartment therapy say that folks are actioning their inspirations thanks to pinterest :: and the nester says that pinterest is a wonderful social networking and link building site :: it is also being used as an educational resource.

I keep a few different boards (the pics above are from my colour and pattern boards) – colour and quilts and pattern and crafts, as well as home and kids etc – its interesting to watch trends and find new ideas, products and colour… what do you use Pinterest for?

1 Jane C. January 20, 2012 at 8:38 am

I’m a graphic designer and an art director at a magazine. I use Pinterest for inspiration in both my professional life and my home life. Just looking at photographs can give me ideas for the magazine, and it is an endless source of inspiration for my craft projects.

2 Katie January 20, 2012 at 9:55 am

I love Pinterest. I use it to remember tutorials I would like to try, garden our home decorating ideas, and recipes. But I also like seeing what designers I admire are pinning. I collect color ideas and also get a fair bit of incoming traffic to my blog from other people’s pins of stuff on my site. I’ve noticed you’ve been pinning like crazy lately, it’s so fun to see the stuff you find!

3 kath_red January 20, 2012 at 8:52 pm

ha – yes – it goes in waves!

4 joana January 20, 2012 at 10:52 am

I would say it is very addictive! I use it for inspiration but mostly to keep in order all those tutorials I wish to try. I’m already following you!

5 Mary January 20, 2012 at 10:52 am

I have really gotten into Pinterest in the last six months. It’s a much easier way for me to keep track of tutorials, recipes, things I want to try. It’s like everybody’s “best of” their internet browsing and I get exposed to so much more of the “good stuff” than I would on my own. Looking forward to following you now! :)

6 jojoebi January 20, 2012 at 7:36 pm

I use if foe many different reasons including an educational resource which i wrote about yesterday

7 kath_red January 20, 2012 at 8:50 pm

great – just added that link in the post

8 theaxx January 21, 2012 at 6:26 am

mmmmmmm… i’m afraid I did find it immeditely addictive though I also confess that I do worry that it’s going to kill diversity and originality a little AND cultural diversity if we’re all looking at the same thing? what do you reckon?

thea.
xx

(spoonfulzine)

9 kath_red January 21, 2012 at 7:18 am

I guess we have to wait and see how it develops

10 Seanna Lea January 21, 2012 at 9:33 am

I use Pinterest occasionally for color and storyboarding projects, but most often I use it as a catalog of projects I’m interested in making.

11 Aurora Fox January 21, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I love Pinterest! and have been using it much like I would a print and photo inspiration board…and it is fun looking at what others pin..

12 Maggie January 21, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I love pinterest! I use the app a lot on my phone while I breastfeed. I need to go back and look at my boards though and not just ‘pin’.

13 Kate January 22, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I recently turned all of my DIY bookmarks into pins, so I can see projects instead of read website titles and guess. Next step, to re-associate with google image search all my DIY folder images to websites and then pin them. No more lost provenance here!

14 Kylie January 29, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I’ve only recently found Pinterest, by stumbling onto other people’s pinboards. At first, I didn’t know what I could possibly need it for, but after reading a couple articles about what all people are using it for, I’m wondering how I’ve managed without it and really want to play. Now if they would just get around to sending me that invitation I requested yesterday…I want to pin craft tutorials I want to try, I want to pin roller derby gear I want to buy, I want to pin fashion pics for inspiration, I want to pin all sorts of things. :-)