Back to school lunch kit
This washable and re-usable lunch sack is perfect for school or work or even picnics.
- 2 cotton tea towels or other sturdy washable cotton/linen fabric
- (For the large bag: 4 pieces 35x40cm; for the small bag: 4 pieces 25x35cm)
- Stiff iron-on interfacing (optional)
- Small length of elastic (elastic hair tie is perfect) + a cute button
- Sewing machine
- scissors, pencil
- Ruler and pins
- – Cut your fabric 2 pieces each for the outside + 2 for the lining (35 x 40 cm / 14 x 16 inches for the large bag or 25 x 35 cm / 10 x 14 inches for the small bag)
- – OPTIONAL: Cut out 2 pieces of interfacing the same size as your bag pieces (this is to stabilise and strengthen the fabric). Iron this onto the wrong side of 2 of your pieces of fabric. This will become the lining.
- – Sew, with rights sides together, your 2 pieces of fabric for the outside of the bag. Only sew the sides and bottom seams, leave the top open.
- – Then turn the bag so that the seam are aligned and the base makes a diamond shape. Mark 5cm in from the corner tips and draw a line across (see the photograph). Then sew across this line. And trim off the excess fabric.
- – Repeat these steps for the lining and turn it right sides out.
- – Place the lining and outer bags one inside the other, with right sides facing and seams aligned. Then sew around the top of the bag, leave a 5cm gap in which to turn the bag right side out. Pull out the lining through the gap and then push the lining back into the bag, so that you have right sides facing outwards. Sew a top seam around the top edge, which will also sew the gap shut.
- – Press the bag so that it resembles a gusseted paper bag. Sew on a button onto the front of the bag and an elastic tie onto the top, to close the bag. Alternatively you could attach velcro.