Button-up Cup Cosy
This cute and cheerful cup cosy would make a great gift, or else you might like to make a few to brighten up your tea set for when guests visit.
- 2x Scrap of fabric approx 30 x 15 cm / 12 6 inches
- Small piece of thin elastic (an elastic hair band will be perfect)
- Needle and thread
- Pen and paper
Step 1. Make your pattern
- - Grab your favourite mug or cup and lay it down on your piece of paper, resting it against the handle. While rolling the cup from end to the other, trace the base and then the top of your mug. Draw a joining line at the ends. After you have cut out the pattern, check it is symmetrical. Do this for each of the cups you wish to make a cosy for.
Step 2: Sew together
- - Place your 2 pieces of fabric right sides together and then pin your pattern on top of your double layer of fabric, and cut it out exactly without adding any seam allowance. Then sew around three of the outside edges, leaving one short end open.
Step 3: Add the tie & button
- - Turn the sewn piece right side out, and press flat. Press the seam allowances on the open end under. Then take your piece of elastic and fold it in half and pin it inside this open edge. Then sew this edge closed, enclosing the elastic, sew over the elastic a couple of times to strengthen it. Sew a top stitch around the perimeter.
- - Sew a bright button on the opposite side of the cup cosy piece and you are done!