Little Bits Quilting Bee | talking pre-cut fabric | Crimson cross

by kath_red on 15/02/2012

in Little Bits Quilting Bee, Quilting

Crimson Cross … a double bed quilt by Kathreen Ricketson

Throughout February I will be featuring quilts from my book Little Bits Quilting Bee (published by Chronicle late last year). Because designer fabric is often only in print for one season it can be difficult for quilt designers and authors to choose fabrics that will be still available when the book or pattern is published; so to help you out I will be offering advice and alternate fabric choices for many of the quilts in my book.

This quilt is my version of the classic red cross quilt, the blocks are made using an improv method and then put together so that the gradient of colours runs dark to light from the top left corner to the opposite bottom corner.

For Crimson Cross I used Rouenneries by French General for Moda, which luckily has just been re-released as Rouenneries Deux (available from Sweet girl studio). I love this fabric and am very happy they have re-released it – I hope that they do this for a few of my other fave fabric lines too.

Regarding the Honey Bun pack – these are 1.5 inch wide strips from Moda and were never as popular as the Jelly rolls – and I am not sure where you can get them from now – except by searching on etsy or asking at your local quilt store. Instead of the Honey buns for this quilt (which are mighty convenient) you will have to cut yourself 1.5 inch wide strips from fat quarters or yardage – you’ll need approx 1 yard or 4 fat quarters cut into 1.5 inch wide strips.

• Redwork Renaissance by Chloe’s Closet for Moda would be my second choice for this quilt – simply because of the range of red and white – perfect for this Crimson cross quilt. (Layer cakes available from Southern Fabric) Pictured below
  • I quite fancy Tuxedo Collection 10 inch squares by Doodlebug Design for Riley Blake Designs as an alternative fabric for this quilt (you’ll need 2 packs as these only contain 24 squares instead of the usual 40), paired with a bold red fabric for the cross – it would be a graphically stunning quilt.

To make this quilt top you’ll need:

• 1 Honey bun pack (40 strips 1.5″ wide) (or 4 fat quarters), 2 Layer cake packs and 3 fat quarters for a scrappy binding.
  • You’ll also need a copy of my book - and they are available in all good book shops and online too.
  • I quilted this in a free-style stipple design.
Quilt images are copyright John Paul Urizar who did a great job on the photography in the book.

1 Mindy February 15, 2012 at 11:34 pm

I love this quilt!

2 Susan February 16, 2012 at 8:32 am

This is lovely! Does your book include instructions to make this quilt in a twin size or other sizes? Thanks so much for the inspiration!

3 kath_red February 16, 2012 at 6:54 pm

This is such an easy quilt to adjust to any size you need, and yes I do mention how to do this in the book.

4 cauchy09 February 19, 2012 at 9:44 am

such a classy design! and those country french reds bring a warm richness that is irresistible.

5 Tia February 21, 2012 at 11:22 pm

This was my very favorite quilt in your book!

6 Ute Vasina February 28, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Hello,
Got the book called Little bits quilting bees. Now I’m looking for the Honey buns jelly roll??? Can you help, what color combo do I need? And the book says 2 of the french general layer cakes is that correct? Or is is one of each? Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

7 kath_red February 29, 2012 at 2:43 am

Hi Ute
You need 1 pack of the honey buns and 2 packs of the layer cakes. Regarding the Honey Bun pack – these are 1.5 inch wide strips from Moda and were never as popular as the Jelly rolls – and I am not sure where you can get them from now – except by searching on etsy or asking at your local quilt store. Instead of the Honey buns for this quilt (which are mighty convenient) you will have to cut yourself 1.5 inch wide strips from fat quarters or yardage – you’ll need approx 1 yard or 4 fat quarters cut into 1.5 inch wide strips.

8 BARBARA BAHRKE April 26, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I am an experienced sewer, but new to quilting. I was in Joanne’s Fabrics in the checkout line and your book just jumped out to me (which I added to my shopping cart.) I just love this quilt, it is just my style. When I make my first quilt, it will be this one. I have been searching online for fabric in this design. Finally searching many different ways for more information and up pops all of this valuable info. Thank you. I am taking the book with to the UK in a couple of weeks (reading it on the plane) and showing the quilt to my twin sis. We are so alike, I know she will love it too. I may have to give it to her and then buy another when I return to the USA.