Sunny Day Mat … a circular quilted play mat by Kathreen Ricketson
Throughout February I will be featuring quilts from my bookÂ Little Bits Quilting BeeÂ (published byÂ ChronicleÂ late last year). Because designer fabric is often only in print for one season it can be difficult for quilt designers and authors to choose fabrics that will be still available when the book or pattern is published; so to help you out I will be offering advice and alternate fabric choices for many of the quilts in my book.Â
I have some ideas of alternate fabrics that you might like to try:
- I love Salt Air by Cosmo Cricut for Moda Quilts
- Delighted Â by The Quilted Fish for Riley Blake DesignsÂ (you’ll need 1.5 packs of these) (layer cakes available from Quilt essentials) (pictured below)
- Pair these Layer cake packs with any of the fat quarters from Candy Corn Kona Collection (available at FabricBub) or Creamsicle byÂ Hoffman Fabrics (availableÂ from MapleLeafDesigns)
To make this quilt top you’ll need:
- 1 pack of layer cakes, 7 fat quarters and 14 inch (36cm) square of chenille, plus 1/2 yard of fabric to match your backing for the binding.
- You’ll also needÂ aÂ copy of my bookÂ - and they are available in all good book shops and online too.
- I quilted this in a free-style stipple design.