Pop wreath — a wreath style applique quilt for a double bed by Kathreen Ricketson
Throughout February I will be featuring quilts from my book Little Bits Quilting Bee (published by Chronicle late last year). Because designer fabric is often only in print for one season it can be difficult for quilt designers and authors to choose fabrics that will be still available when the book or pattern is published; so to help you out I will be offering advice and alternate fabric choices for many of the quilts in my book.
Pop wreath was beautifully made by some lovely women – it was a fabulous group quilt, Fiona Leche hand appliqued the quilt top, Amish women in Tennessee hand quilted the layers and I bound it. A beautiful heirloom quilt is the result. You can make this quilt by hand too if you like, but you could also certainly machine applique and machine quilt it too – a different result but equally stunning quilt would result.
I used a bunch of my own fabrics for this quilt — I made my own packs of Layer cakes (10 inch squares) from various stripes, plaids, checks and polka dot fabrics. If you would like to use a pre-cut Layer cake pack and want this same look – (soft and romantic yet modern too) here are some fabrics I would recommend:
- Cape Ann by Oliver + S for Moda Fabrics – (you’ll need 2 packs) this collection of fabrics has a lovely soft appeal a range of pinks, blues and greens. (Pink castle fabrics have this in stock)
- Reunion by Sweetwater for Moda Fabrics – (you’ll need 2 packs) this collection has a bit of contrast with red and black, yellow, green and grey.
- If you are looking to make up your own layer cake like I did here then you will need approx 6.5 yards or 15 fat quarters in total to make up the 2 Layer cake packs, you can use a variety of scraps that are at least 10 inches square. Try Essential dots fat quarter pack by Moda (you’ll need 2 of these packs).
To make this quilt top you’ll need:
- 2 Layer cake packs (or 15 fat quarters), and 4 1/2 (4.1m) yards of soft white fabric for the background. Plus 3/4 yard (70cm) extra of background fabric for the binding.
- You’ll also need a copy of my book – and they are available in all good book shops and online too.
- This quilt was hand quilted in an echo design – however if you are machine appliqueing – then feel free to machine quilt it as well.