Summer Sundae: A single bed quilt for a little girl, by Kathreen Ricketson
Throughout February I will be featuring quilts from my book Little Bits Quilting Bee (published by Chronicle late last year). Because designer fabric is often only in print for one season it can be difficult for quilt designers and authors to choose fabrics that will be still available when the book or pattern is published; so to help you out I will be offering advice and alternate fabric choices for many of the quilts in my book.
Summer Sundae was in part inspired by the fabric that I used for this quilt: the Sweet range from Urban Chiks for Moda. This fabric is no longer available so I searched for fabric that you could substitute, fabric that is sweet without being cloying – here are my choices. (You’ll need a pack of 10 fat quarters plus the background fabric.)
- Wonderful Folk Heart by Rosalie Quinlan for Lecien Fabrics is a sweet mix of aqua, greens and pinks.
- Circa 52 by Monaluna for Birch Organic Fabrics could be good for a boy or a girl and has a playful mix of gold, aqua and grey.
- I am also going to suggest a bunch of Lecien fabrics (fat quarter set sold through JamsaBon).
To make this quilt top you’ll need:
- 10 fat quarters Plus 1 1/2 yards (2.3m) for the background and 3/4 yard (70cm) extra for binding.
- You’ll also need a copy of my book – and they are available in all good book shops and online too.
- I machine quilted this in a playful scribble design.