Community Garden — a wall hanging or lap quilt, by Kathreen Ricketson
Throughout February I will be featuring quilts from my book Little Bits Quilting Bee (published by Chronicle late last year). Because designer fabric is often only in print for one season it can be difficult for quilt designers and authors to choose fabrics that will be still available when the book or pattern is published; so to help you out I will be offering advice and alternate fabric choices for many of the quilts in my book.
This fabric is made with some delicious hand screen printed Ink and Spindle fabric, I collected a few different fat quarters and cut them into charm squares myself. That delicious centre panel of fabric is Birch in Saffron.
- Aviary 2 by Joel Dewberry – Southern fabric does a charm pack of the yellow colourway.
- Or else you could try some delicious organic fabric from Daisy Janie.
- Or Julia Rothman’s Miscelaney collection from Cloud9 is pretty special (pictured below).
- 2-3 packs charm squares or 72 squares (that is 6 fat quarters), you’ll also need a solid fabric for the background 3/8 yard (35 cm) of natural linen, plus a bit more 3/8 yard (35 cm) for binding.
- You’ll also need a copy of my book - and they are available in all good book shops and online too.
- I have quilted this quilt in a free-style leaf design, mimicked from some of the seed pod and leaf designs in the fabric.