Instagram: The new way to photoblog

by kath_red on 20/04/2012

in Community + Creativity

Are you on Instagram yet? Instagram is an iphone app (now also available on android) – free to use – which just sold for 1 Billion to Facebook after only a year and half in business – wow! But what is it and why is it cool?

I use Instagram to connect with friends via photos – I take a photo of what I am doing, where I am, what I am making and I can post it up to an online photo feed where my followers can see, like and comment. It is instant which I love and you can fiddle around with the photo to add different effects and create a beautiful image – which makes it fun to use. It is pretty gimmick free and is very easy to use – I am not sure how this facebook buyout is going to affect it at all but lets hope it stays clean and simple.

There are many independent ways to view Instagram online – I use  followgram or webstagram - Here are a few more ways to view. These third party sites are compatible with Instagram and allow you to log in and view your friends feeds and share your photo album. One thing about Instagram that annoyed me a little was that every photo you take and save gets uploaded to your feed, which means you can’t just take a billion photos and then choose which one to upload. You do have the choice of making your feed private though.

Recently Hipstamatic – another excellent iphone/android photo app, which is more feature full and with more filters has become instagram friendly. So you can take plenty of images with Hipstamatic and then choose which ones you want to upload to Instagram. All sound a bit overwhelming? It is not in the slightest – you will need an iphone (or android phone – thanks readers for letting me know it is now available on android – yay!) though!

1 Tracy April 20, 2012 at 8:28 am

Thanks for the explanation! Having a mobile phone not app capable ( neither is my plan) I have often wondered about the cool photos I have seen on blogs via instagram…now I ‘get it’!

2 Cass Ward April 20, 2012 at 9:05 am

I normally just take my photos use the camera on my iPhone/iPad and then select which ones I want to upload to instagram. That way I can take heaps of photos and only upload the ones I want

3 Ronman April 20, 2012 at 10:17 am

Maybe you didn’t notice that this is now available for Androids as well as Iphones?
It’s not just an “Iphone app” anymore!

4 Kate April 20, 2012 at 10:34 am

So addicted.
So much fun.
Love the insta part and love the way it is making me see my life.
Happy weekend. x

5 Misa April 20, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Instagram is on Android now as well. It’s fun but since I’ve had Android through all the IG craziness I’ve found other apps that have tons more filters than IG. I do like the community aspect of it though. You’re right. I wish you could choose what photos to share with everyone (a la: FB sharing options) so you don’t have to go completely private or completely public. I’m sure FB buying them out will change some things since more people will be working on it. I do what @Cass Ward does. I take a bunch of pics then upload my favorites.

6 Ash April 20, 2012 at 12:29 pm

It’s not just for iphone, the Android app has been out for a few weeks now.

7 Angela April 20, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Perhaps this only works in the Android version, but I’ve discovered that you can take a photo (through Instagram, using whatever camera you have), apply a filter, hit the “upload” button and then when you get to screen that asks if you’d like to add a description, upload to Facebook/Twitter/etc. if you just leave the app it’ll still save to your phone, without uploading the photo to your Instagram stream. Again, I haven’t had any experience with the iPod app, but I know you can do it in the Android one.

8 Jacqui April 21, 2012 at 2:59 am

I very rarely take photos with Instagram, usually I edit photos from my photo album using a variety of really great apps like Snapseed, Camera+, Magic Hour or Filterstorm, and then upload them to IG. That way I can choose which photos to share, have access to lots more filters, and don’t overwhelm my followers with heaps of photos. I often apply the IG filters over what I’ve done in other apps too, and upload to Glickr when posting. It’s totally addictive though isn’t it!

9 Jacqui April 21, 2012 at 3:00 am

That should be Flickr not Glickr!

10 kath_red April 21, 2012 at 4:04 am

so many great ways to use Instagram – must try out some of these soon.

11 Topy April 24, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Hello!

Are there any websites that let you check your personal news feed? As in the “News” section where it shows who has commented or liked your photos?

Thanks!

12 kath_red April 24, 2012 at 6:56 pm
13 Stephenie from Decorating Addiction May 8, 2012 at 11:18 pm

What’s the best way to upload Instagram photos to your blog? I blog on blogger and haven’t figured out the fastest way to do this. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks so much. Great post!

14 kath_red May 9, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Hi Stephanie
I upload instagram photos like I do my regular photos – you can grab the url of the image to use, or you can upload your instagram images to your tumblr or facebook if you have one too – how to share images in this way here: http://blog.instagram.com/post/16542250243/instagram-tips-share-uploaded. Blogger and Wordpress do not yet have an instagram upload feature but I am sure it is not far away.

also here is a whole bunch more fun ways to share your instagram pics http://instagramers.com/links/

Good luck and have fun