Introducing the creativity series 2012

by kath_red on 30/04/2012

in Community + Creativity, Guest series 2012

Over the coming two and half months Whipup.net will be host to a wonderfully inspiring series of essays from fellow bloggers, makers and creators who will be sharing their personal creative journeys with us. I asked these lovely creative folk to pick one of four topics to focus their essay on: creativity and health, creativity and business, creativity and parenting or creativity and process. And the responses have been phenomenal and I am very excited to share them with you in this space.

Sewing room – no-one to blame but myself

We have essays and stories on how creative blogging has helped motivate and encourage making and on the flip side how too much internet is just visual overload. Craft has saved lives and sanity, created new careers, given confidence and created new opportunities. Makers and bloggers share their business wisdom and creative processes through this series of often deeply personal and touching essays. Thank you all so much for participating, reading, commenting, and sharing the joy of creativity.

Sewing room – kids have taken over

To kick off the series I want to share a little about what I will be doing over this time. I will be happy to be taking a mini blogging break, but will still be here in the background – reading and checking links and generally just being here. Because I am not in fact going any place special – just into the world of creativity – designing, making and writing up the instructions for a whole series of quilts for my next book. It is kinda a big deal, the quilting machine is set up ready to go and I even cleaned up my sewing room specially! .

Sewing room AFTER

1 Michelle April 30, 2012 at 8:56 am

I’m looking forward to this series! Especially the health ones. I think crafting saved my sanity last year when I was so ill. It was the little things that I used to measure my recovery, like being able to sew a small thing one day, to being able to lower and lift my sewing machine hydraulic table, to being able to machine quilt a quilt a few months later. I still remember the sense of achievement when I managed that.

Enjoy your mini-non-break Kath!

2 Jodi Anderson April 30, 2012 at 9:40 am

I am looking so forward to this series. I also really like these photos of your studio. Behind-the-scene pictures always inspire me. Take care, Kath!

3 Deepa April 30, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Wow, another book on quilts! Cool. I bought your first one and I don’t even quilt (or sew with a machine, for that matter). I just liked it so much, and learning to quilt is on my crafting bucket-list.

Looking forward to the guest blogger series!

4 Truly Myrtle April 30, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I can’t wait for this series – it sounds fantastic!
Enjoy your breather – I hope it gives you the head space to produce some fabulous stuff!

5 kath_red April 30, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Thanks all — not blogging daily is always a pleasant respite — and I know this series is going to rock!

6 joanie May 1, 2012 at 1:44 am

Looking forward to it. The topics are great, can’t wait to read the essays.
Enjoy your writing during your time away.

7 Francesca May 1, 2012 at 2:05 am

nice to see your working and creating space!

8 By Night May 1, 2012 at 3:28 am

It’s fun to see your working space! Mine being my dining table, I ought to clean it up way too often but I bet it’d look like yours if it were anywhere else ;-)
I can’t wait for this series and to read these essays

9 kath_red May 2, 2012 at 6:03 pm

My work space was supposed to be a parents retreat / 2nd living room or sitting room — but turning it into my studio means it receives much more use. It is really a great space – even though it is a walk through room so gets a lot of traffic – but has great light, lots of shelves and high ceilings. The cutting table in the middle there has ikea adjustable height legs and I have set my sewing machine up there now so I can stand to sew.

{ 1 trackback }