The good and the sad

by kath_red on 13/07/2012

in Books, Newsletter

It is school holidays in my little corner of the world – cold too. The first week of the holidays we all just needed a break, I think my pre-teen daughter spent three whole days in bed, just emerging to growl or cry, get food and then limp back to bed. Today she worked a few hours as a mother’s help to a friend with three little energetic girls and when she came home she proclaimed herself exhausted and took to her bed again. It really is true that puberty requires sleep! As for my boy – nearly 10 years old – oh my how the time has flown – my baby. He has been busy playing soccer every day and when not playing soccer he is reading books or playing gadget type games.

And as for me, I too took a break and spent one whole morning in bed – after a three day photo shoot for my next book – it was exhausting and creatively fun at the same time (I spent 2 whole days just cleaning to get ready as many of the photos are taken in my house and the rest in friends houses – the pics are going to be really gorgeous – can’t wait to show you – but you’ll have to wait … sorry).

This week:

Something sad happened this week – I can’t get the image out of my head. Three ducklings drowned in our makeshift pond, I think they became too cold and couldn’t work out how to get out of the pond – the water level had gone down from all the splashing and they were unable to get out – such a dreadful thing. Only two precious babies left.

There was something good though too – a profile and the first of a series of articles published in Quilters Companion Magazine.

And of course all the amazingly inspiring articles on creativity at Whipup: QuiltDad discusses creative dads and the gender divide in the crafting world :: Jen discusses how creativity has changed her life :: Erin discusses visual overload :: and Berber tells us that creativity is in everyone.

Books are a big part of my life – and I am thinking of getting a kindle – do you have one? do you like it? I feel sad to be considering it because I love the physicality of books – but wow – those kindles are sort of really cool and convenient!

I have reviewed Beautiful Botanicals before – but have been revisiting it and it really is such a lovely book. As for the other two books on that pile – oh so luscious! 18th Century Embroidery Techniques (by Gail Marsh and published by Guild of Master Craftsman) is a visual treat. Inspiring and useful – textile artists and historians and anyone who loves stitching will fall in love with this book. And the final book in the pile – We Love Color - is one you have probably seen around the traps. It is a Stash (C&T) book of contributor quilts made with Kona Solids, a strong group of modern quilt designers with some really inspiring quilts to make with solid fabrics.

[Thanks to publishers and distributors for sending me books to review, I don't get paid to post reviews but I am an amazon affiliate] (Australians can purchase craft books online through can do books or booktopia or else browse booko for the best prices.)

Sign up here to receive our weekly email newsletter

1 Maryse July 13, 2012 at 7:48 am

I love my kindle. I don’t see it as an either/or sort of thing regarding physical books either. I still buy and enjoy real books but for novels that I only intend to read once or for traveling or commuting they are so convenient.

2 Michelle July 13, 2012 at 9:11 am

I’m so sad about your ducklings! I’m so sorry. It’s awful.

Loved the profile and article – really good job!

3 kath_red July 14, 2012 at 3:25 am

Thanks Michelle

4 Lori July 13, 2012 at 10:45 am

Sorry to hear about your duckies. :( poor things.

as for a Kindle/ereader, I love mine (not a Kindle but the Canadian bookstore chain version: Kobo). I was just thinking about this driving to work this morning after I passed a bookstore with a sign “Hold a real book!” I love books, love to buy books. I love the library but always feel sad when I have to give the books back. As I’m a bit of a pack rat (NOT A HOARDER) I tend to hang on to the books I buy. For me, in my small apartment, this becomes a problem. So the advent of the Ereader is a saving grace for me. I can buy the books which puts money in the hands of the authors (eventually) and I can avoid eventually being buried in a landslide in my apartment. That said: I do prefer most craft books in their physical form. It kind of depends on the book though (knitting books on iPad are awesome).

Wow, sorry for the long-winded comment. Love your blog and I’m usually more of a lurker but I had this thought in my head just when I read your question. :)

5 Amy July 13, 2012 at 10:59 am

I’m sorry to hear about the ducklings. I’m sure it was very, very heartbreaking, indeed.

I love my Kindle for reading novels and I have the black and white version. That being said just this week I went to the library to search out embroidery books for stitches because even with the internets (yes, I call it the internets, must be from a movie) I, too , need a tangible book of weight in my hand. However, that being said. Youtube is great and so is the zoom function on Kindle for looking at said stitches (aged eyes) and ya can’t do that with a book. So there are pros and cons with both. Maybe have both and cross-reference?

6 Elena Murphy July 13, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I have a kindle, iPad, and iPhone and use all three to read my kindle books. The iPad is the best for books with big beautiful pictures, but if you don’t want it for that, a kindle is a good choice. It’s pretty cool to be able to access any book you own (electronically) at any time, bookmark and highlight, and not advertise to te whole world what you’re reading. Plus, when I read paper books I would always have a point where I needed to carry two books because I was almost done with one. That isn’t an issue anymore.

7 C July 13, 2012 at 1:55 pm

So very sorry to read of your ducklings…those type of events just plain hurt.

I don’t have an e-reader, mainly because I like books so very much…however, it would be very handy for magazines…hmmmm!

May your day be joyous

8 Dace July 14, 2012 at 5:12 am

I have it on a good authority that death by cold or drowning is the most peaceful and painless death there is, so be assured that your ducklings did not suffer.

9 Isabella Golightly July 15, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab, which I love, and I have the kindle software on it… I must admit to being a huge booklover, and my shelves are all full, so the e-reader is wonderful – and I now no longer buy paper-backs, but only the books I really want in tangible form, such as sewing, knitting and crafty books – and I read the ‘trashy’ stuff in e-form. It’s a nice compromise, and I put lots of savings into my ‘real’ book library that way!

10 Becky July 17, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I love my Kindle. I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about it, but it’s great for traveling, carrying along to soccer practice, the pool, etc, etc. It will never replace my crafty or cookbooks, but it’s great for novels, freeing up shelf space for more cook books and craft books!

11 Lola July 22, 2012 at 9:34 am

Hello
I find the kobo a pain, it only charges thru a computer. I use the iPad now. Calibre is great for managing books, but craft books must be held. And shown to friends, and loaned out. I can’t imagine Modern Quilter, Weeks Ringle and Bill Kerrs magazine in an e format. Can you?