We have all been suffering from Man Flu this past week, today I am home sick with my boy, and we watched a bit of olympics and drank tea together for a while. I plan on watching the BBC series of Pride and Prejudice a little later with more tea too.
Otherwise there has not been a lot going on in the world of me. Post big deadline means that I am now procrastinating on a few things (the garden, the cleaning, some work) while I recover.
But have been cooking big pots of chicken soup or pea and ham soup – our new pressure cooker has been in use constantly – I have a new very simple recipe for White Chicken Soup, which the whole family adores.
And we have been eating rather a lot of these amazing Cara Cara oranges (pictured above next to regular oranges), they are a darker – pinky red, and very sweet.
Recipe for White Chicken Soup – good for a Malaise
- You’ll need: A whole (free range) chicken, 1 or 2 fennel bulbs, 1 or 2 cans of cannelloni (white) beans (or cannelloni beans that have been soaked overnight and simmered until soft). Salt to taste.
- 1. Pressure cook for 20 mins or simmer for 1 hour a whole chicken (add some bay leaves, pepper corns, and any vegetable peelings you might have – including the tough outside of the fennel if you like)
- 2. Remove the chicken from the stock and leave to cool, and strain all the peelings, bay leaves, peppercorns from your stock. Scoop off (with a soup ladle) the layer of oil floating on the top.
- 3. Chop your fennel bulbs into chunks (remove the coarse outside first), and place in the stock and add the beans too. Salt the stock to your taste.
- 4. Remove all the meat from your chicken bones, and break it up into small pieces, add it back into the stock. Simmer for a further 15 minutes until the fennel is softened. Serve for dinner and have the leftovers for breakfast.
Cool things I saw on Pinterest
Plaited bun for medium hair :: Liz Dyson designs :: Seaweed prints from Geninne :: Catarina Regina Tumblr site full of beautiful things :: Collapsable cardboard house for the kiddos :: Fashion Rogue website :: you can follow my pinterest boards here.