I am having a Jane Austen week

by kath_red on 16/08/2012

in Newsletter

So strange that I should be suddenly struck with the urgent need to re-read all of Jane Austen, and to watch every single dramatised version I can find. And then to turn this sudden sublime pastime to the ridiculous I have also discovered the genre of Jane Austen FanFic – sequels and alternative endings galore. Oh My! Not only that but whilst reading I had to continually look up all sorts of references, and research society and politics, health and food, fashion and travel from 1815. I have also been reading all about Jane Austen’s own life and various critiques and reviews of her work down the ages. It is all so very interesting. (All of Jane Austen’s books are available online.)

This is all probably partly due to being a wee bit ill this past week which has led to a huge procrastination binge, a very messy house and a fantasy of having a maid (or two).

Getting out and about for some healthful walking though – not being cooped up in the house all the time. Driving the kids here and there, soccer, music, activities, and waiting waiting, gives me time for a brisk afternoon walk, where I take some photos of unfamiliar neighbourhoods, interesting fences, colourful graffiti, and then muck about with new iphone camera apps too (a new fave is the pro camera app)

On Whipup this week

This week on whipup you will find my pinterest boards and our flickr group. Come and play.

Crafty stuff

diy bike pannier :: mohawk beannie :: Ombre dyed chevron dress (love) :: Recycled planters :: Stitchy felt headband :: diy x-leg bench :: Build a tower crane with kids :: Needle felt fruit ::

oh and one more thing – do you know of anyone looking for a house in Canberra (Australia) next year – academics on sabbatical for example? Our listing is here.

Sign up here to receive our weekly email newsletter

1 enchiladaplate August 16, 2012 at 10:45 am

If you like Pride and Prejudice, you should definitely check out The Lizzie Bennet Diaries, a modern re-telling of P&P: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6690D980D8A65D08&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_862293

2 Vicki W August 16, 2012 at 11:00 am

That’s funny. i have also just started rereading all of Jane Austen. Finished Persuasion just this morning.

3 Wanett August 16, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I just watched P&P for the eleventy millionth time last night, lol. I got totally hooked on Austen adaptations and continuations earlier this year. In my case, it was a procrastination tactic to avoid schoolwork ;o)

4 Jennifer Forest August 17, 2012 at 3:03 am

I can’t help but comment – a crafty girl who is having a Jane Austen week! Hmmm, I’ve been there a few times myself :) You might want to check out my book Jane Austen’s Sewing Box which is craft projects from Jane Austen’s novels and my short read / ebook which is a bit of background about what it would have been like to be one of Jane Austen’s women.

Here’s some links:

Jane Austen’s Sewing Box

Behind Jane Austen’s Door http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006YITPAS

5 kath_red August 17, 2012 at 9:38 pm

oh looks so fun!

6 Mary K August 17, 2012 at 10:15 am

Kathreen,
there are austen books out there that are annotated to give you a bit of the things that are referenced.

And I know what you mean about getting hooked (rehooked). I even had this dream several weeks ago that the world was ending, so I spent my last moments reading Sense and Sensibility.

7 Christina Westenberger August 17, 2012 at 10:38 am

Our family favorite, when it comes to Jane Austen, is BRIDE & PREJUDICE, a Bollywood version set in present day Ameritsar, India.

8 Natalie August 18, 2012 at 4:43 pm

So your “lost in Austen”. That’s my favorite at the Moment. A mini TV-Serie from 2008 from ITV. A reader(Amanda) changes place with Elisabeth….