Can you feel the energy that this time of year brings? There is almost a vibration in the air as everyone gears up for end of year events, school performances, end of year concerts, parties, dinners, picnics and pool parties for some and snow days and fireside warm drinks for others. It feels so frantic but exciting and fun too. There are secretive packages being stowed, and holiday cooking in action, the tree and decorations come out, holiday drinks are mandatory (and some songs too). What are you doing at this time of year? are you up to your eyeballs or trying hard to avoid it all?
W generally try to have a pretty low key Christmas, we have a tree, and big lunch and we exchange presents, I bake. This year we are in the midst of packing up our house for our road trip next year, and so we will be even more minimal than usual — not a lot of baking (and it has become hot here already) but we will have our favourite ginger cookies (which I included in our Celebration Action Pack from last year).
But naturally I have to have homemade gifts for friends and family (and teachers) — and most everyone will be getting some Homemade Apothecary salves and lotions and bath salts and lip balms.
What are your homemade holiday making plans? I have a couple of pinterest boards you might like for this time of year – DIY holiday crafts and DIY gifts, cards and packaging. I am loving the idea of spices and pinecones and oranges as a holiday theme — simple and natural. Pom pom berry wreath :: toothpick stars :: string art tree :: cardboard roll stars.
Stuff I have been doing
- Book reviews: Push series :: five knitting books :: three textile craft books
- Mentioned our Year of Reading Out Loud — and posted a book list for 10 years and up for our family to read out loud together.
- What is a magazine for kids — do you have any favourites or suggestions?
- At whipup the knitting designer series finished up – and I am thinking of another series for next year — any ideas? Anyone want to contribute?
- Working through corrections for my upcoming quilt book, will be coming out with Stash mid next year — very excited about this one! (and as you can see from the pic above, I was checking my twitter at the same time!)
Action Pack Kids Magazine News
- Download project extract — How To Make Healing Salves. These are so amazing … you will love these. downloadable PDF.
- New: Launched the Family Apothecary Action Pack Magazine — hope you love it!
- Taking submissions for next year … Read our submissions themes [we have a preschool issue in the works] – check out our Pinterest ideas boards [creating with nature :: preschool sensory projects :: creating with the elements :: and submit an idea!
- Action Pack back issues pack are available for a 25% discount – at the shop.